2011 - The year so far

Moderator: News Report

Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

2011 - The year so far

Post by Ridley »

2011 - Part 1
It's that time again. On Friday half of this year will already be over and with it 6 great months for the gaming industry, a good oppertunity for me to draw a line and recap what this year has brought to the table so far.
Normally the holiday season, meaning the time leading up and surrounding christmas or whatever religious holiday you might celebrate in the fourth quarter of the year, is the time in which most big titles hit store shelves, which means that we are left with a long and painful dry period for the rest of the year, especially in the summer period. But not so this year. There have been several big budget titles of top quality that have been scattered across those first 6 months nicely, among them Dead Space 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, InFamous 2, L.A. Noire, The Witcher 2 and Mortal Kombat, just to name a few. And I have to say, that is a damn amazing catalouge of games that does not need to hide itself from what's on the horizon for the second half of the year. Oh, and Duke Nukem Forever finally saw the light of day, after OVER 10 YEARS!! (Too bad it
sucked hard).
15 years in the making - turned out to be rubbish

But of course, apart from the games, we also saw a brand new platform being launched with the Nintendo 3DS. Granted, it's launch was not what you would call a great start, with sales numbers only slowly climbing up and a lineup of games that was not exactly top of the line, but the young handheld just got it's first masterpiece with the remastered edition of Zelda -Ocarina of time and with plenty great first-party games to come the 3DS is far from a failure.
A new kid on the block - The 3DS
As every year the E3 Expo has been held at Los Angeles in early June. While the show has been unusually short of big game announcements, the biggest thing to come out of it was of course the reveal of Nintendo's next generation console: The Wii U. It's revolutional and hugely innovative controller set the industry on fire and developers are already coming up with the wildest ideas of how to utalize the implamented screen and camera in fresh and never before seen ways. Oh, and BioShock Infinite looked alright aswell. The announcement of Halo 4 can also be called somewhat of a unforseen twist.
The future - The Wii U
But what's right on top of my memory and what dominates my thoughts about this first six months of 2011 gaming-wise simply has to be Portal 2. The game was held in huge anticipation and we all wondered just how Valve will manage to add to the brilliant game that was the first Portal. Well, they did it by creating even more mindbending puzzles, adding to the gameplay by introducing object accelerating gels, spreading the story of Aperture Science and it's history even further, including a flatout brilliant co-op mode and pushing the narrative a great deal by having some of the best vocal performances ever heard in a video game ever. If the year was over right now, Portal 2 would go home with the Game of the Year award, and it would not even be close.
The best 2011 had to offer so far - Portal 2
Horst McRandom: wer fanta trinkt
Horst McRandom: wixxt beim scheißen
Shape
STEAM: myownlabyrinth

Re: 2011 - The year so far

Post by Shape »

Nice idea, well written, the only negative part are the pictures. I think they should be the same size to make it awesome! :) :>
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Shape wrote:Nice idea, well written, the only negative part are the pictures. I think they should be the same size to make it awesome! :) :>

Most BS you read all day^
TheSold3y
STEAM: svengiesselmann
BATTLE.NET: Sold3y
LoL Name: TheSold3y

Post by TheSold3y »

Really nice review! I enjoyed reading it and I agree to almost everything you've wrote there. But you forgot to mention the biggest fails in 2011 like Homefront & F.E.A.R 3 etc. :)
1eShit
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
STEAM: 1eshit

Post by 1eShit »

I can just agree, really nice job!
Good to read and nice information.

Btw:
What is the game "Duke Nukem Forever" about?
.............]-TX-[•»1eSh¡t.­™{StSgt}............
Hidden content:
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: Im jelly
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: and mad
]-TX-[Penguin{OmCpt}: i suck#
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: gah i suck
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: /retarded me
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: Me dumb
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: IM SO DUMB
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: ofc i am gay
]-TX-[•PengusQ3{DivCom}: damn im dumb
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

TheSold3y wrote:Really nice review! I enjoyed reading it and I agree to almost everything you've wrote there. But you forgot to mention the biggest fails in 2011 like Homefront & F.E.A.R 3 etc. :)
I agree, well written and entertaining to read. Although I am missing a bit about Crysis 2, I would not set it too far away from Portal 2 tbh. It is pretty decent with all those patches and updates now.

Well done anyway. :up:
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Shape

Post by Shape »

I think there are more topics/articles about 2011 on the way. He wrote 'part 1' :P
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

Shape wrote:I think there are more topics/articles about 2011 on the way. He wrote 'part 1' :P
First half of the year. Part 2 will be the 2nd half probably.
Hidden content:
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Shape

Post by Shape »

u suck Ironhide :'D.
Well maybe there's an overall conclusion WITH Crysis 2 in it :D
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

Shape wrote:Well maybe there's an overall conclusion WITH Crysis 2 in it :D
No. I mentioned Crysis 2 in the list of great games that came out over the course of the last 6 months, but did not mention it seperately, becaue though it is a geat first person shooter, it is nothing more really.
Personally Crysis 2 was a dissapointment to me, due to it's lack of innovation and CoD style gameplay and streamlined leveldesign. They simply dumbed it down too much to increase the mass market appeal, something that they didn't need to do in my opinion.
In a list of best games this year It wouldn't even be second on my watch, that would be LA Noire.
Horst McRandom: wer fanta trinkt
Horst McRandom: wixxt beim scheißen
Shape

Post by Shape »

LA Noire's quite cool!
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Shape wrote:LA Noire's quite cool!
Ye but once you get to disk 3 its just so boring...

I love Rockstar's games (hate the company, hope they all burn) and I was really looking forward to this game, but still havent wanted to complete it because its not that fun.

Most BS you read all day^

Return to “News Talk”