Lucas Arts going Unreal again

Moderator: News Report

Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Lucas Arts going Unreal again

Post by Ironhide »

After Lucas Arts hired Tim Longo, who was responsable as Technical Director for Star Wars Republic Commando back in 2005, the first semi-serious rumors about Republic Commando 2 were noticed in TX as well as on Star Wars websites.

Not a long time after still in April 2011, Lucas Arts saved the rights to work with the Unreal Engine 3 and even protected a new -still unkown- name with copyrights. The Unreal Engine 3 is the newer version of Republic Commando's game engine and it is the same one that was used for Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War and Mass Effect.

“Unreal Engine 3 is a forward-looking solution that shortens the path between inspiration and execution on a wide variety of gaming platforms…We are thrilled to add another exceptional tool to our technology mix.”

Now even serious gaming websites are reporting about Lucas Arts' recent actions and are discussing about their plans. Of course Battlefront 3 and Jedi Knight IV are mentioned, but some journalist are giving a sequel to Star Wars Republic Commando a fair chance since the old FPS director of SWRC is now together with one of the best current FPS engines. All these are good reasons to hope for a new Star Wars first person shooter, and the FPS associated with Star Wars is obviously Republic Commando. However Lucas Arts licensed the Unreal Engine 3 for several games, so it is even possible that a sequel to Republic Commando 2 as well as other games will be released - maybe even without Star Wars at all.

"LucasArts and Epic Games, Inc. announce a long-term, studio-wide agreement for LucasArts to develop multiple projects using Epic Games’ award-winning Unreal Engine 3 for the engine’s supported platforms."

Let's see how this is going to end, even if will not be SWRC 2, a game based on the Unreal Engine 3 can barely dissappoint anyway.
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
TheSold3y
STEAM: svengiesselmann
BATTLE.NET: Sold3y
LoL Name: TheSold3y

Re: Lucas Arts

Post by TheSold3y »

Let's way how things goign to develop. It would be awesome if there would be another JediKnight / Battlefront or Republic Commando. UnrealEngine is the most awesome engine because you can nearly edit everything what's inside the game.
Aytsef
Omicron Sergeant Major
Omicron Sergeant Major
STEAM: Aytsef
LoL Name: Aytsef

Post by Aytsef »

it would be awesome to have a sequal on any of them but ofcourse I hope for a sequel on swrc
]-TeamXtreme-[Aytsef{KappaSecondLieutenant}
Thanks for the awesome sig Graphiix :D
Hidden content:
Numb
Omicron Major
Omicron Major
LoL Name: Hveem

Post by Numb »

Sounds interesting!

Would this game(s) require a great computer, due to this new engine?
Gratze

Re: Lucas Arts going Unreal again

Post by Gratze »

The Unreal Engine 3 is now 6 Years old(2005), so I don't think that you need such a great computer.

]-TX-[ Gratze: thought I found a game now to troll with you
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: hehe
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: ;D
] ]-TX-[ Gratze: :D
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: You can look forward to a troll filled future im sure
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

Grace wrote:The Unreal Engine 3 is now 6 Years old(2005), so I don't think that you need such a great computer.
The Unreal Engine 3 is from 2007 and is still getting fully supported and updated by Epic Games (developer), the latest version was published in February 2011. The engine supports DirectX 11 and will be developed and updated till 2012 at least. So it is pretty much up to date and can still perform on a very high level, of course you cannot compare it to Crytek's CryEngine though.

Here is a gameplay video of the game Bulletstorm based on the Unreal Engine 3, I think you can see that the graphics are way better than those of any 2005 released game (such as Republic Commando).
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
TheSold3y

Post by TheSold3y »

It can definatley mess with the CryEngine! (at least with version 2) :)
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Soldy' wrote:It can definatley mess with the CryEngine! (at least with version 2) :)
Ye! Cryengine 2 was disappoint for us PC gamers.

Edit: Meant Cry engine 3, unreal engine 3 couldn't touch cry engine 2.

Most BS you read all day^
TheSold3y

Post by TheSold3y »

wtf?
Revenge
STEAM: hopperfutzi

Post by Revenge »

I thought like.. "no way they wont even think about SWRC 2".
I'm anxious to hear more about it, lol.
1eShit
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
STEAM: 1eshit

Post by 1eShit »

That sounds promising to me, hopefully there'll be a Republic Commando 2 or something similar !
.............]-TX-[•»1eSh¡t.­™{StSgt}............
Hidden content:
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: Im jelly
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: and mad
]-TX-[Penguin{OmCpt}: i suck#
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: gah i suck
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: /retarded me
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: Me dumb
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: IM SO DUMB
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: ofc i am gay
]-TX-[•PengusQ3{DivCom}: damn im dumb
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Soldy' wrote:wtf?
Cry Engine 3 barely improved on Cry Engine 2 (it's arguably worse), have you seen crysis 2? lol.

Unreal engine 3 is a great engine. Though I think if it is Repcom 2 many people are going to be disappointed because it will more than likely be a console port designed for gamepads and generations old hardware (cough Crysis 2 again cough)

TheSold3y

Post by TheSold3y »

CryEngine 2 was the best Engine the Computer ever had untill CryEngine 3. Now the CE3 is the mest. Don't look at the limit the developers give you in your settings, unlock the console then you gonna have even better graphics. :)
ninja
Epsilon Lance Corporal
Epsilon Lance Corporal

Post by ninja »

i'm not going to get my hopes up for new SWRC and even if it comes out i'm gana have to get it for the xbox. we'll see lets hope that they don't spread so much hype that it ruins the next game. (TFU & battlefront 2 are good examples)
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Soldy' wrote:CryEngine 2 was the best Engine the Computer ever had untill CryEngine 3. Now the CE3 is the mest. Don't look at the limit the developers give you in your settings, unlock the console then you gonna have even better graphics. :)
Unlocking the console doesen't do crap when you're limited to dx9. Fact is CryTek said it wouldn't be a console port and it was. So until they show us something decent, we can safely assume CryEngine3 is nothing special at all. Maybe they should let some developers who wouldn't sell out have a go with it.

Return to “News Talk”