Review - Battlefield 1943 (PS3, Xbox360)

Moderator: News Report

Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Review - Battlefield 1943 (PS3, Xbox360)

Post by Ridley »

Downloadable content has evolved into something expendable this current generation. Most of these DLC games you can download via the Playstation Network, XboxLive or Games for Windows are cheap, short lived and mostly not on retail level. But now another game has hit the download services: Battlefield 1943, EA and DICE's try on good DLC. With a full online mode, gorgeous graphics and an in-depth community system, Battlefield 1943 sets new standards for all downloadable games to come.

Story
Battlefield 1943 doesn't give you a real story, but only a setting: 1943, World War 2, the pacific theater. And that's about the only information you get. You're a random soldier on an island, fighting against other random soldiers for victory, until the time is up and you start all over again.

Value
15€, that's all I have to say. The game costs exactly 15€/ 1200 Microsoft Points. Although this is the normal price for a downloadable game, it incredibly cheap for BF1943, because the game is so jam packed with content that this could have been a full retail game for 60€.
There is only one way to play the game: The 12 on 12 multiplayer mode. The game has everything you'd expect from a Battlefield release. It features 4 large maps, populated with lots of vehicles and aircraft, one of which a fan favorite Wake Island, a deep and engaging class system complete with rewards and achievements and a class system, where you are able to choose between 3 types of soldiers: The Rifleman, equipped with a semi automatic rifle, the infantry, with a machine gun and a bazooka and last but not least the scout, who carries a sniper rifle and demolition kits. If you then take the vehicles into an account you have one balanced game, where everyone and everything has strengths and weaknesses to exploit.
Just as there is only one main game mode, there is only one multipayer mode as well: The classic conquest mode. Battlefield veterans will find themselves right at home. There are 5 flags scattered all over the map and your job is it to claim them for either the United States Marine Corps or the Imperial Japanese Army. The more flags you capture, the more of the enemy's time will run out. Fortunately conquest is a keeper, and with the in depth leveling system the game will keep you for a long time.

WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY

Gameplay
The game pulls no punches in this regard. It's a straight up shooter with no confusion about the controls or the gameplay mechanics. You shoot, you reload, you shoot more and you die. If you get tired of this however, you are able to experiment with a wide variety of other things to do. Flying an airplane is definitely one of the most likely things you'll do, because it's just straight up fun. You may have some trouble with the controls at first, but after you mastered them you will be bombing tanks and shooting infantry in no time. Riding one of the Tanks or troop carrier trucks is just as fun, and will result in a shier awesome experience.
One new addition to the Battlefield universe is the ability to call in bomber support. On each map there is one radio bunker, from which you'll be able to call in 3 bombers to lay down a precise bomb carpet. And if you totally want to stand out from the crowd you can just take a boat and go straight behind the enemy lines and capture all their flags single highhandedly. The possibilities are endless.
One thing that really impressed me about the gameplay is the feeling of the weapons. They really feel like tools to do bad and nasty things to other human beings, all of them having really heavy sounds and animations. Even the pistol, which feels really weak in other games comes off as a devastating weapon here.

Graphics
Running on the Frostbite engine, Battlefield 1943 looks quite similar to Battlefield Bad Company. In other words: It looks amazing.
What stands out immediately is, of course, the detailed real time damage you can inflict to the game world. Throw a grenade into a house, and the wall will blast away. Shoot a tree and it will fall down, and after 10 minutes of playtime you have barely anything to take cover behind.
The other aspect that impressed me are the extremely detailed reloading animations. Unlike the fast and hectic reloading sequences you will find in similar games, Battlefield 1943 shows you every exact move at the speed a real soldier would do it.
The steady clip of 60 FPS, convincing lights and shadow effects, detailed environments and smoke that almost looks photo real all make obvious that this game looks too damn good to be a download game only. The only thing that can be criticized about the game's visual presentation is that the character animations come off a little stiff at times, and that there is still a lot of pop in when it comes to the game's vegetation. Other than that, this is one amazing looking game.

Art Design
Neither comical nor real is the best way to describe Battlefield 1943. While the world and the vehicles are modeled as real as it gets, the character models feature this sketchbook style, which is displayed in the game's main menu. The 1940s nostalgia is also part of the featured stye. Most dialog is spoken out in that 40s radio vibe, while the fonts and schematics of the menus are displayed like a World War 2 propaganda placate. It works and blends in nicely with the outstanding visual presentation

Watch on the Youtube Main Page and in High Quality

Sound
Probably the best part of the game: The sound design. Overall you can describe the audio as very bass heavy, loud and fast. Explosions sound especially sweet shaking our bones and hurting your ears (but in a good way). The weapon sounds are also strong, so that no weapon feels weak at any time. If you hear one of those shots, you just do not want to be hit by one of them. The soundtrack, which basically is made up of the Battlefield Theme and it's remixes, is catchy, and the sound of the vehicle's engines sound appropriate. Nothing to report on the audio front! (sir!).

A full Battlefield game, disguised as a download game, retailed at 15€. Whoever has the chance of downloading this solid multiplayer online first person shooter should definitely do it, the low price will be worth it. This is the way downloadable content should be done. One big salute to EA and DICE, your tactics work well!

Story: /
Value: 9,4
Gameplay: 8,6
Graphics: 9,3
Art Design: 8
Sound: 10

Horst McRandom: wer fanta trinkt
Horst McRandom: wixxt beim scheißen
S.T.O.R.M.
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Review - Battlefield 1943 (PS3, Xbox360)

Post by S.T.O.R.M. »

Nice work, Ridley!! Go on with it.
-=INSTA-GOD=-
[00:52] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: when storm says brb
[00:52] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: i alt tab
[00:52] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: and read the news.
[00:52] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: usually can get to about page 157
[00:52] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: before hes back
JoZe

Post by JoZe »

Nice review =)
Xerox:
Ne eine Gehinrzelle hab ich noch, die is Chiefmaster man, die reitet auf nem rosa Elefanten.

GeniuZ:
Ne digga, auf nem Mammut, weil die doch alt is un so, die neueren sind auf Elefanten...Idiot xD

Xerox:
fick dich du hast meiner gehirnzelle net zu sagen auf was die reiten soll :D
Metal
Fun Squad General
Fun Squad General
BATTLE.NET: Necrozor

Post by Metal »

Wow very nice review you got me wanting to keep reading and wanting to buy the game, Well done!
Dave

Post by Dave »

a very interesting read !

carnt wait till pc release date this will be one more for my bf collection
---Dave ----aka---Learner

STEAM -LEARNER
XFIRE-davebetts
Conzept

Post by Conzept »

Wohow :D
Very nice work due.
Go on i'm sure you know the Drill ;)
Sharp
STEAM: gr4nge
XBOX Gamertag: TXtr Sharp

Post by Sharp »

nice review matw :up:
Freak
Omicron Private
Omicron Private

Post by Freak »

Nice Stuff
]-TeamXtreme-[»'FReaK.™{OmicronLanceCorporal}
'7Lives.FReaK™

I get DEEP, I get DEEP, I get DEEP, I get DEEPER into this thing.
Fash
Omicron Colonel
Omicron Colonel

Post by Fash »

really nice review dude
Undeath

Post by Undeath »

very nice :O
»ƒø®©€«
»þredalien«
Guilty
Charlie Private 1st Class
Charlie Private 1st Class

Post by Guilty »

another 2 hours got lost of Ridley's boring life ;p
Wie immer gut !
However, you always apply a lot of effort and always project one's thoughts in every single way.
Keep this good work up.
Phillip hätte es auch gefallen
Last edited by Guilty on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akatsuki wrote:da stant im buch man kann horsten wen internet 56k hat ich habe 54k und kann nicht horsten
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Nice Ridlezzzz :o
Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran
STEAM: hasero

Post by Hasero »

hmm, you give it a high rating !

Well normally into this game, but the trailer looks pretty good, i think im gonna give it a try.

Review looks good Ridley, Keep on with your job <3!
I'm pretty good at stuff, until people watch me do that stuff
Zeta Squad
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

Hasero wrote: but the trailer looks pretty good
It's not a trailer, it's footage i recorded
Horst McRandom: wer fanta trinkt
Horst McRandom: wixxt beim scheißen
krauser
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran

Post by krauser »

Sounds like an amazing game!

I think everyone is able to see that you put much effort in this review, really good job Ridley! ;)
"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford
"Wo Konflikte sind, ist immer auch Emotion, ist Energie, ist Weiterentwicklung - oder auch Untergang. Wo Konflikte fehlen, ist Harmonie und Kooperation - oder auch Langeweile, Stillstand und Erstarrung."

Return to “Reviews / Previews”