PC spec virgin here

Don't know what fits for you? Request a purchase advice from the TX hardware supporters!

Moderator: hife

Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: PC spec virgin here

Post by Ironhide »

Penguin wrote:PSU definitely won't be any good, case will be terrible as well (it's clearly a pre-built). DVD drive / HDD may be IDE - incompatible with Sandybridge setups.
You can use IDE on some 1155 boards, and even an adapter SATA -> IDE would be cheaper than a new HDD or a simple PCI controller, and if he wants to play games, money for the CPU/Graphics card is more important than a new HDD. He can always get a faster one later, that's no problem, but starting without graphics card or a crappy one is a problem. Or maybe he even wants to get an AMD CPU (due to lack of money maybe, since Intel is better), IDE would not be a problem at all then. And as I said, some boards support IDE + Intel anyway.

A pre-built PC case would suck, but I also had a pre-built PC 6 years ago but I've put it in another case with a new PSU so I could use both when I bought new hardware 3 years ago - how can you know he did not do the same? That's why I ask him. So unless he told us what exactly he has, we should not say "it's (im)possible". We just do not know it. And some pre built cases would also support new hardware. If fully depends on the case, and I doubt that you've seen it, that's why I asked. And we do not even know wether it was pre-built anyway.

So just wait until he told us some facts, until then stop saying "bla bla thats not possible", I just post ideas for the case they can be needed later, so far you can't say no to that. :)
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Ironhide wrote:even an adapter SATA -> IDE
NO! NEVER use an adapter. Your performance will be around 10-15 MB/s. Have fun.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Vash wrote:
Ironhide wrote:even an adapter SATA -> IDE
NO! NEVER use an adapter. Your performance will be around 10-15 MB/s. Have fun.
This.

I can tell by the spec. It does not even have a dedicated graphics card and a motherboard like that would not be found in a custom built pc. Chances are the case will not even accept standard form factor motherboards, even if the cooling was adequate, which is highly unlikely. I know he hasn't swapped it into a new case because he said 'do i pick components or put them into place' when asked if he could built it ;) Most of the time you can get a nice PSU + Case bundle that will knock of 20 euros or so. That being said, he can still run the hardware without a case if money is tight. Just leave the hardware on an anti-static surface like a desk. Btw I never said it was impossible I said it doesn't look like there is anything salvageable from the information given, not that there was 100% nothing salvageable.

Most BS you read all day^
Foxy
MW3 Elite Member
MW3 Elite Member
STEAM: nouhebikergenoegvan

Post by Foxy »

i pretty much have nothing now was just wondering >_>

wanted some ideas rather than absolute advice ^^ n my budget = very low atm

Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

try selling your old pc to raise funs maybe it may be low in spec but it should still perform for internet purposes this making it still sell able to familys

or for instance i just sold an old broken dell laptop with 1.6ghz processor and 512mb ram for £55

You would be amazed how much you can raise with the crap you dont need
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Well. Prices change all the time, so it's best to ask when you're ready to buy^^

Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran
STEAM: Vertebratan
BATTLE.NET: Vertebratan
XBOX Gamertag: Vertebratan
LoL Name: Vertebratan

Post by Barcode »

I don't think he want's prices just ideas so he knows roughly the amount he needs to buy one.
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Then pretty much same as Vash said.

Intel sandybridge i5 quadcore
H67 motherboard (because of not overclocking)
8GB ram (due to price of ram atm)
Nvidia GTX 560 + or AMD 6870 +
500w + quality branded PSU.

Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

if you really got a low (and i mean low not medium) budget, get a c2q and new grapbics card, if your current board has a pcie slot.
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Foxy
MW3 Elite Member
MW3 Elite Member
STEAM: nouhebikergenoegvan

Post by Foxy »

I had a gfx card b4 but my housing is 2 small for anything 2 fit in and im afraid of damagin shit when i put it out^^

Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Ironhide wrote:if you really got a low (and i mean low not medium) budget, get a c2q and new grapbics card, if your current board has a pcie slot.
+ new psu more than likely.

Return to “Purchase Advice”