Wanting to build a new PC

Don't know what fits for you? Request a purchase advice from the TX hardware supporters!

Moderator: hife

Wookey
Battlefield 3 Member
Battlefield 3 Member
STEAM: thearmedwookey

Wanting to build a new PC

Post by Wookey »

Hey guys!

I want to build a new computer, that could run BF3 on High settings on a 1080p resolution with about 50-60FPS.

Lately i've been struggling with what parts i should get for my PC. Some say to get AMD or ATI, but some say that you should get Intel and nVidia. I would want to try out AMD, because i've heard it's good for the price you pay.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz
GPU: nVidia Geforce GT240 1GB GDDR5
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 1TB
Motherboard: Intel GH55TC

I would appreciate if you would tell me what to change in my PC. Also, I would like to make sure my new PC would be able to run BF4 with good settings also. But the thing is, i don't want to spend a huge amount of money on it, since i don't get a lot.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
xX1AcidRain1Xx
Xbox360 MW3 Commander
Xbox360 MW3 Commander
STEAM: xx1acidrain1xx
BATTLE.NET: Raindawgify
XBOX Gamertag: xX1AcidRain1Xx
LoL Name: Raindawgify

Re: Wanting to build a new PC

Post by xX1AcidRain1Xx »

22 views and not one reply, i find that funny
Anyways in my opinion, an i3 processor is enough for decent quality gaming, but I would recommend staying away from the A series unless it is a high model one like the A8, mainly cause all the things I tried playing games on an A6 or lower there was always lag due to high processor usage
oh and you might want to make it 6 GB RAM so there won't be a problem with future gaming.
And your Graphics card isn't a decent choice for it's price

Why I'm saying this: I help build custom PCs repair them for paying customers

EDIT: Just realized I have a typo, i left out the n't in Isn't enough for decent quality gaming, thanks penguin for discreetly pointing that out
Last edited by xX1AcidRain1Xx on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamer tag: xX1AcidRain1Xx
Tactician Master
TX-Gaming
Hidden content:
Emergency Self-Termination Sequence Activated
congrats,
you should feel confused
Infinitii
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
XBOX Gamertag: lnfinitii

Post by Infinitii »

xX1AcidRain1Xx wrote:22 views and not one reply, i find that funny
Anyways in my opinion, an i3 processor is enough for decent quality gaming, but I would recommend staying away from the A series unless it is a high model one like the A8, mainly cause all the things I tried playing games on an A6 or lower there was always lag due to high processor usage
oh and you might want to make it 6 GB RAM so there won't be a problem with future gaming.
And your Graphics card is a decent choice for it's price

I think people didn't reply because no1 who saw this perhaps felt they had the experience to give such advice.

However, the only thing I can say is that getting bigger RAM shouldn't really make a difference to the FPS on the game, I think. So if you are only wanting this to play BF3 and not future games on high setting (which is probably not true) then upgrading your RAM wouldn't seem necessary.
The prettiest colours!
xX1AcidRain1Xx
Xbox360 MW3 Commander
Xbox360 MW3 Commander
STEAM: xx1acidrain1xx
BATTLE.NET: Raindawgify
XBOX Gamertag: xX1AcidRain1Xx
LoL Name: Raindawgify

Post by xX1AcidRain1Xx »

Infinitii wrote:

I think people didn't reply because no1 who saw this perhaps felt they had the experience to give such advice.

However, the only thing I can say is that getting bigger RAM shouldn't really make a difference to the FPS on the game, I think. So if you are only wanting this to play BF3 and not future games on high setting (which is probably not true) then upgrading your RAM wouldn't seem necessary.
Not to be rude, but I didn't mean that, I just meant four is not enough for BF3 to run on, it takes around 7 GB to run on my desktop when I play (minus the .75 my os takes) and as games keep coming out more sophisticated, more RAM will become the minimum requirement, but then again you can just fix your start up and services (msconfig) and it would help slightly, just slightly
Gamer tag: xX1AcidRain1Xx
Tactician Master
TX-Gaming
Hidden content:
Emergency Self-Termination Sequence Activated
congrats,
you should feel confused
Infinitii
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
XBOX Gamertag: lnfinitii

Post by Infinitii »

xX1AcidRain1Xx wrote:
Infinitii wrote:

Not to be rude, but I didn't mean that, I just meant four is not enough for BF3 to run on, it takes around 7 GB to run on my desktop when I play (minus the .75 my os takes) and as games keep coming out more sophisticated, more RAM will become the minimum requirement, but then again you can just fix your start up and services (msconfig) and it would help slightly, just slightly
Fair enough, you're a lot more experienced than me so I'm sure you're right. And yeah my laptop has 4GB RAM and an awesome GPU (can't remember tho) and it struggles to play LoL ._. Although I think there is something wrong with it, not sure
The prettiest colours!
Sharp
STEAM: gr4nge
XBOX Gamertag: TXtr Sharp

Post by Sharp »

I'd recommend upgrading the ram to 8GB. As for your graphics card, if you have the money to spare, an upgrade would do no harm
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Recommending 6GB for a dual channel chipset.

You build them for some overpriced high street store I hope.

Most BS you read all day^
Wookey
Battlefield 3 Member
Battlefield 3 Member

Post by Wookey »

You're all saying stuff about RAM, but what about the CPU and the GPU? These are the most essential parts about building a PC, not RAM.
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Change the GPU.... GT240 is poor for games like BF3. If you really want to play at 50-60 FPS you will need high end hardware. Then it would be easier to buy a new PC instead of upgrading parts.

I'd upgrade RAM to 8GB and get a Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 instead of the GT240. That should boost the performance.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

To get 60fps on Ultra you need to be looking at 7950/7970 or 670/680 as a minimum.

With a 3.0GHz + dual channel w/ HT or quad core to back it up.

Wookey
Battlefield 3 Member
Battlefield 3 Member

Post by Wookey »

Vash wrote:Change the GPU.... GT240 is poor for games like BF3. If you really want to play at 50-60 FPS you will need high end hardware. Then it would be easier to buy a new PC instead of upgrading parts.

I'd upgrade RAM to 8GB and get a Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 instead of the GT240. That should boost the performance.
What about the GTX 660?
Roooker
Battlefield 3 Member
Battlefield 3 Member
STEAM: rookcss
BATTLE.NET: Rook#2179

Post by Roooker »

I think a 660 would be fine for the 50 ± 5 fps range. I would get a 660 ti or a 7870/7950 if you can afford it.

I have just picked some parts for a friend of mine for several kinds of budgets for a gaming pc. Here is the email i sent him.

--------------i5 CPU -------------------
850 Euro
I5 3570k and 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1000€
I5 3570k and 7970
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1200€
I5 3570k and SLI(2x) 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------i7 CPU -------------------
1050-1100€
i7 3770k and 7970
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1300 €
I7 3770k and SLI (2x) 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not calling myself an expert but i think i know a lot about pc hardware. I have build several PCs in the last years and everyone was very happy.
CPU: Core i5 2500k @ 4.2 GHz GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 MoBo: MSI Z77A-GD65 RAM: Corsair Vengance 8 GB @ 1600mHz 8-8-8-24 SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 120GB HDD: 2 TB Western Digital Black PSU: OCZ ZT 750W Mouse: Logitech MX518 Key: Logitech Media Keyboard 600 Head: Plantronics Gamecom 777 5.1 Case: Modded Corsair 500R
Wookey
Battlefield 3 Member
Battlefield 3 Member

Post by Wookey »

Roooker wrote:I think a 660 would be fine for the 50 ± 5 fps range. I would get a 660 ti or a 7870/7950 if you can afford it.

I have just picked some parts for a friend of mine for several kinds of budgets for a gaming pc. Here is the email i sent him.

--------------i5 CPU -------------------
850 Euro
I5 3570k and 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1000€
I5 3570k and 7970
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1200€
I5 3570k and SLI(2x) 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------i7 CPU -------------------
1050-1100€
i7 3770k and 7970
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1300 €
I7 3770k and SLI (2x) 660ti
http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-309200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not calling myself an expert but i think i know a lot about pc hardware. I have build several PCs in the last years and everyone was very happy.
I apprecite the help, but since me being always so broke 800€ is going to be hard to gather, I thought the maximum amount could be 600€
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Wookey wrote:What about the GTX 660?
I'd rather get a GTX 660 Ti. But regarding the performance, it is too overpriced imo. I'd go for a HD 7870 or 7950.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Get a 7950, add another 4GB of RAM and an SSD. You could also see if you could pick up a first generation i5 quad core second hand.

Save the rest / spend it on something else.

Return to “Purchase Advice”