Power supply now...FML

Don't know what fits for you? Request a purchase advice from the TX hardware supporters!

Moderator: hife

Jones
Omicron Commander
Omicron Commander

Power supply now...FML

Post by Jones »

So I'm pretty sure my power supply died. Still need to check for 100% certainty but I might as well start searching for a new one. I run a gtx 660 , some i7 that I don't remember on some Asus mobo. And a seagate barracuda hdd and two wd externals. Now I'm not sure what that all means for my power supply needs...but y'all prolly do. My current psu is 650w. It's a cooler master gx. Sooooooo idk how that helps anyone but whatever. I'd also prefer something with modular wiring/cables. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR WISDOM GENTLEMEN.
Vash wrote:If you don't look like Gollum and you're sure that the girl does not say that cause of her pity, it looks like a good sign.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Power supply now...FML

Post by Penguin »

Budget?

Do you care about power efficiency?

The cheapest I can see on Newegg that I would touch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now same price, but bigger capacity, not sure how EVGA are for PSU, but I really can't imagine them being bad, they are a premium brand for GPU and Motherboards and it probably comes with some extended warranty over other brands. I'd probably go for this, really great price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817438007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most BS you read all day^
Jones
Omicron Commander
Omicron Commander

Post by Jones »

Yea so my psu is most def dead but so is my mobo . I have an i7. Idk what else I should mention for a mobo... So tell me
Vash wrote:If you don't look like Gollum and you're sure that the girl does not say that cause of her pity, it looks like a good sign.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Your exact CPU model, if you intend to overclock or use dual graphics cards in future.

Jones
Omicron Commander
Omicron Commander

Post by Jones »

I don't care about overclocking cus lol only rep com and I'd probably break something but I might want dual Gfx cus lolmoremonitors. My CPU is the i7-2600 sandy vagina 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600. You're an absolute dear, Penguin. Thank you. <3

EDIT:
On the subject of power supplies, would it matter if I bought it from Amazon over Newegg, as in the warranty? Also I don't even know what power efficiency is, so GG.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Higher power efficiency = lower electric bills for you.

For SandyVagina you need an LGA 1155 board. ASUS, EVGA, ASRock, MSi are nice. Gigabyte are fuckshit. Because LGA 1155 is an old chipset, I would look at a Z77 board. So you want a LGA 1155 (Z77).

If you only want to have more monitors, then you buy a very cheap GPU and run it as a card for the screens, but you still need multiple PCI-E 2.0 x16/x8 slots. If you intend to use dual GPUs to increase FPS, you need SLi or CrossfireX tech on the board.

So in the board description, you want to see.

Intel Z77 chipset
Support for 2nd/3rd generation Sandy Bridge 1155 CPU
2x PCI-E 16x / 8x (16x better but not that important)
CrossfireX for AMD dual graphics card and/or SLI for Nvidia dual graphics card

I would just get the cheapest board with these features since you don't intend to overclock.

Jones
Omicron Commander
Omicron Commander

Post by Jones »

Am I going to need to reinstall windows?
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

With a new motherboard, yes.

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Not if it's Win7 or Win8. Obviously it's always better to re-install, but it would work without. You will only have to re-activate Windows.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

You should always re-install Windows if possible when changing motherboard.

Return to “Purchase Advice”