Can't decide between a macbook pro or a normal win notebook

Don't know what fits for you? Request a purchase advice from the TX hardware supporters!

Moderator: hife

Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Can't decide between a macbook pro or a normal win noteb

Post by Penguin »

Correct, Apple tech has the lowest depreciation of anything in the consumer market. So if you stay in the cycle of say buying a new one every 2/3/4 years it is not as expensive as people think as you sell the old one to cover half or more the cost of the new one.

iPhone 6 base model still fetches 400+ second hand.

I paid £960 for Pro Retina 13" with 3 years apple care last October and I can easily get £800 for it now.

Most BS you read all day^
Sunny
LoL Member
LoL Member
XBOX Gamertag: RokkaFellah
LoL Name: Beatlefield

Post by Sunny »

@Peng
I thought about your opinion again why Macbook Pro with Retina, because I still have the 14Days left to give it back

As i said, the main reason is why I choose the old one is cause of the cheap upgrading

I went back to the apple store, they say i can upgrade the SSD on the MPB2015, but my guarantee will be away, also it's quite difficult to upgrade RAM because it is soldered.

And how did you get it that cheap?!
Angela Merkel wrote:Das Internet ist für uns alle #Neuland.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Educational discount :)

The RAM in the MBP is 8GB standard. By the time you need more than that, you will be ready to be a new one. Dell don't even offer over 8GB on their XPS line. I have happily been doing work in Windows VM while browsing on my mac and playing Spotify and I was using about 6GB ram with 4GB dedicated to Windows. You have to consider your needs. Unless you are doing heavy dev work / graphics / 3d etc you don't really need power. I will likely not get another Pro model and simply get a basic MacBook since I no longer do work on my laptop that requires power.

You can upgrade the SSD but you will be surprised how far 128GB goes, 256GB will be plenty and you can move your media to a NiftyDrive.

I would seriously recommend it, you will have next to no resale value with a non retina in a few years and Retina is 100% worth it.

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Sunny wrote:I went back to the apple store, they say i can upgrade the SSD on the MPB2015, but my guarantee will be away (...)
This is bullshit. It is not legal for them to void your warranty.

You can upgrade parts like the HDD/SSD and RAM without voiding the warranty. Of course only for non-soldered parts.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Sunny
LoL Member
LoL Member

Post by Sunny »

I'm planing to do quite a lot of stuff like video editing with premier and after effect + some easy photo editing stuff, I'm gonna have a lot of photos on it, I don't think 128GB is going to be enough tho
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Video editing with the 1440x900 screen!!! Are you crazy?!

If you can't afford the retina version with enough storage buy a Windows laptop. This is the only time I will advocate this.

Sunny
LoL Member
LoL Member

Post by Sunny »

I rly don't think the retina display is going to be a change for me, I can't rly see any difference on the first sight.

for sure if you work all the time with retina you will get used to it, but if you don't, in my opinion you won't rly feel a big miss in your life

Whats your opinion vash?
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Sunny wrote:I rly don't think the retina display is going to be a change for me, I can't rly see any difference on the first sight.

for sure if you work all the time with retina you will get used to it, but if you don't, in my opinion you won't rly feel a big miss in your life

Whats your opinion vash?
You said its for editing, this is 100% the use the Retina screen was made for. Either you are just doing it for fun or not taking it seriously or need to learn more about how to do it. You won't see a pro editor using a 1440x900 display.

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Sunny wrote:Whats your opinion vash?
Don't buy an Apple laptop. It's no professional equipment if you really want to edit videos etc. with it aka. if you really want to _work_ with it.

Get a laptop which can use the full power of the CPU without overheating/throthling down.

As a Lenovo fan, I recommend a mobile workstation such as the ThinkPad W541. I can tell you more details if there is generel interest.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Sunny
LoL Member
LoL Member

Post by Sunny »

Well you're right Peng, I'm doing it more for fun and I'm rly a newbie in editing.

@Vash
thx, we're getting at Work the W550s, maybe i can get a cheap one for private use, should be more or less the same if the specs are, no?

Return to “Purchase Advice”