A BIGG OL THANG
STEAM: A BIGG OL THANG
BATTLE.NET: A BIGG OL THANG
XBOX Gamertag: A BIGG OL THANG

suicide misson to mars/anyone thoughts on this

Post by A BIGG OL THANG »

The Final Frontier: A Mars Mission

NASA/AP
Two scientists are proposing that the U.S. send volunteers to Mars and leave them there. They say the mission would mark the beginning of long-term human colonization of the red planet
To Boldly Go: A One-Way Human Mission To Mars
As the nation attempts to go on a debt diet, the cost of federally funded space missions, like the long-awaited manned mission to Mars, is being questioned. But two scientists are recommending a different approach that could change space exploration forever: leaving the astronauts there.

In their article from the Journal of Cosmology, scientists Dirk Schulze-Makuch of Washington State University and Paul Davies of Arizona State University propose making the mission to Mars a one-way trip.

"The purpose of doing this is to save money, to put it bluntly," Davies tells NPR's Audie Cornish.

"I think we've all had this dream of going to Mars — it has been something that has, for decades, been proposed — but it's one of these on-again-off-again projects because it is so phenomenally expensive. But by making the trip one way, you cut the cost dramatically, not just 50 percent, probably about as much as 80 percent. Then it becomes feasible."

Not A Suicide Mission

Davies envisions the astronaut who will travel to Mars to be in his or her 60s, with enough life experience and training to willingly take the journey into space. They would live off of a power source of some kind, ideally a nuclear reactor, and take enough medical and food supplies to sustain themselves through the rest of their life.

Ross D. Franklin/AP
Paul Davies, of Arizona State University, is one of two scientists who are proposing we send volunteers to Mars and leave them there.
Davies stresses that the journey would not be a suicide mission — more like the opportunity of a lifetime. "If you send a scientist to Mars, it's like a kid in a candy store," he says. His mailbox is already overflowing with volunteers ready for their final frontier.

"Really, this isn't a joy ride," says Davies. "You have to understand that the motivation for doing this is to not only open up a human presence on another planet, but to provide the opportunity to do some fantastic, groundbreaking science."

The U.S. Can Lead The Way

Legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who was the second person to step on the moon on the 1969 Apollo 11 mission, agrees with Davies, to a certain degree. Aldrin is not one of the many volunteers lining up for the one-way mission to Mars, but he feels that the trip is inevitable — and it's important for the U.S. to pave the way.

"If we slow down now," Aldrin tells Cornish, "we will lose the opportunity for leadership in an international lunar development corporation."

Earlier this year, President Obama addressed a roomful of astronauts and scientists at the John F. Kennedy Space Center in Florida. He spoke to them about the future of space exploration in the 21st century and affirmed his belief that NASA will be able to send astronauts to Mars and back by the mid-2030s.

But if scientists like Davies have their way, we may actually be living on the red planet by then.

"If Mars is worth going to," Davies says, "it's worth staying on."//has anyone else heared this and what do u think about it
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: suicide misson to mars/anyone thoughts on this

Post by Ironhide »

There is a similiar project as well, but not by the NASA.
Human settlement of Mars in 2023

Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023. A habitable settlement will be waiting for the settlers when they land. The settlement will support them while they live and work on Mars the rest of their lives. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, such that there is a real living, growing community on Mars. Mars One has created a technical plan for this mission that is as simple as possible. For every component of the mission we have identified at least one potential supplier. Mars One invites you to join us in this next giant leap for mankind!
Mission plan

Mars One plans to establish the first human settlement on Mars. According to their schedule, the first crew of four astronauts would arrive on Mars in 2023, after a seven month journey from Earth. Further teams would join their settlement every two years, with the intention that by 2033 there will be over twenty people living, and working on Mars.

The mission plan is as follows:[4]

2013: The first 40 astronauts will be selected;[7] a replica of the settlement will be built for training purposes.
2014: The first communication satellite will be produced.
2016: A supply mission will be launched with 2500 kilograms of food in a modified SpaceX Dragon.
2018: An exploration vehicle will launch to pick the location of the settlement.
2021: Six additional Dragon capsules and another rover will launch with two living units, two life support units and two supply units.
2022: A SpaceX Falcon Heavy will launch with the first group of four colonists.
2023: The first colonists will arrive on Mars in a modified Dragon capsule.
2025: A second group of four colonists will arrive.
2033: The colony will reach 20 settlers.[1]
Pretty good idea imo. But I dont think I'd do it, would lag too much during games (yes, they are supposed to have internet connection there).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mars-one.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

If i had nobody i cared about or no friends or family
this is something i would think about doing for sure.

how sick would you get with everything being orange :lmao:
A BIGG OL THANG

lol, yeah, but theres no water and there only sending over enoff for u to live on hence no baths or showers,for the rest of ur life,idk man sounds like a bit of a stinker mission to me lol and no meat to eat ever lol hey bro i love pizza and i aint giving that up for nobody let alone for a orange planet and u think its hot here how about no shade and no atmosper thats got to put a damper on things and one thing i been thinking about are they going to nuke it befor or after they send people there cause they been talking about blowing up some ice caps taking them there and then nuking the to give the red planet an atmopher i dont think i would want to be there for that part of the misson and besides i love pizza lol
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

lol useem to know a thing or 2 about mars

nukeing mars sounds crazy :lmao: i think they just want to use one to see what it would do
A BIGG OL THANG

lol yeah i read alot my job is super boring all i do is sit here an make music wright music and read then go home an play the box

Return to “Xbox 360 Archives”