Guide to Olaf [toplane]

Moderator: LoL Managers

SAMO
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain

Guide to Olaf [toplane]

Post by SAMO »

Olaf, The Berzeker

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Olaf is certainly one of the most annoying Top laner of the game. He is hard to master in jungle but if well played he can be almost invincible. I'll show you how to play as a toplaner. He has insane damages, tanking and movment speed. In this guide I'll tell you my way to play Olaf.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro's & Con's

Pro's
- Insane damages due to his E
- Almost ungankable after lv 6
- His Q is one of the most annoying slow of the game after Nunu's and Ashe's ones
- The less HP's he has, the most dangerous he is
- Is played tanky and still does damages
- Awesome 'carries chaser'
- OP Ultimate
- Q OP to clear waves
- Brolaf :D

Con's
- Is 'manavore'
- Can be easily kitted
- His E damages himself
- Countered by JarvanIV

Summoner spells

ImageImage

Masteries

Pretty defensive runes as you see, deals true damages to minions when they attack Olaf + tanking + reducing slows/hard CC's.

Runes

I mostly play against AD's top so I have chosen to get more armor than MR, also in jungler to tank towers.

Abilities

Berzerker Rage [passive] : for each 1% health missing, Olaf's attack speed is increased by 1%.

This passive is very very strong. If you like to play Olaf in jungle and building Wriggle's Lantern, and in addition to your W, you'll regenerate 120 HP's per auto-attack. With +70% attack speed that makes you almost unkillable in auto-attacks fights. This passive also gives you the ability to do Golems even if you're very low-life.

Undertow [Q] : Olaf throws an axe at a target location, dealing damages to units it passes through and reducing their movment speed for an low amount of time. If Olaf picks up the axe, Undertow's cool down is reduced by 4.5 seconds.

This shit is manavore. You can't spam this ability neither in early game, nor in mid game, nor in late game unless you build a philosophal stone. When you chase someone, the CD's reduction is very very helpful so you can spam it for the time you will need it to kill your ennemy. If the ennemy flashes and if you don't fail your skillshot, the range of Undertow will be enough to coninue your chase. Undertow is also a very very good ability to clearwaves.

Vicious Strikes [W] : Olaf's attack damage is increased by his % of health and he gains life steal and spell vamp for 6 seconds.

Added to your passive, you'll regen a lot of HP's. Usually enough to stay in an amount of HP's between 300-500 for 5 seconds in a fight.

Reckless Swing [E] : Olaf attacks with such force that he deals true damages to the ennemy target and himself.

This spell ignores the armor of your ennemy. It means it will deal 340 damages when upped lv 5 to your ennemy and 130 to yourself. You can have a spell lv 5 when you're lv 9. I let you think about this: 340 damages every 3 seconds. With that spell, you can build tanky as fuck and you'll still do damages.

Ragnarok [R] : Olaf becomes immune to disables and CC's for 7 seconds. He also gains MR, armor and armor penetration.

Combined to your Ghost, you will be unstoppable if you target someone. It has 90 seconds CD so don't waste it. Don't use it for harass top, but when you're sure to kill/fight your ennemy to death.

Item Build

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageOR Image
ImageImage

Olaf is played TANKY AS FUCK because of his E dealing enough damages the whole game long. Shurelya gives you movment speed when activated, + ghost and ultimate he is unstoppable for 7 seconds, usually enough to run to a carry and to kill him. Randuin will dicrease the armor of the carry and replace your lack of damages with your auto-attacks and your Q.

Playstyle

In the early, build first HP's so you'll be fine on your lane. Don't forget wards and get a philospal stone as soon as possible. You'll be able to clear your lane with your Q easily and to harass your ennemy. When your ennemy goes too near from you to last hit, punish him with your Q + your E. Walk on your axe to get back your cool down and throw another Q at him. 500 hps for a minion a.k.a 25 gold, he will surely regret tha

In 11v, try to not move much from your position, so you can focus on your Q's CD. If you throw it at your ennemy's position when you're in fight you'll automatically get the CD back and you'll be able to use it again. Added to your E and your passive + your W, you'll be unkillable 1v1. You may also fuck your ennemy's CC with your ultimate.

In the mid game, when you're farmed enough and you're tanky as hell, go for the midlane and dive the opponent midlaner with your mid. Do drakes and shut down towers from all lanes. Olaf is enough tanky to tank towers.
You can also be sneaky and dive the botlane with jungler. If you are both tanky/doing damages you'll dive everyone easily because of your ultimate who prevents any CC's. Play like you don't care to be hurt, you're Olaf.

In the lategame, use ghost + shurelya + ultimate to get as close as the carries as possible, make sure you use your randuin to dicrease their armor. Olaf can kill both carries when fed and also get rid of the support, all of that with finishing the fight with 200-500 HP's.

His skillset is very heavy because he has low CD's, so you can spam your abilities and build tanky as hell. I usually get 5500 HP's in late game. If you get a strenght potion you'll be at 240 AD late game and full stuffed. That's enough I guess. He's the best carry chaser of the game with Khazix. Make sure you don't fail your Q and the life of your ennemy is yours.

Conclusion

Olaf is OP. He deals insane damages and tanks like it's not allowed.
Hidden content:
Feedback!
Madara
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain
STEAM: madara259
LoL Name: GM DenDeus

Re: Guide to Olaf [toplane]

Post by Madara »

There's almost nobody who can win vs a good olaf in ealry game(on lane).

Olaf is also one of my fave champs because there are so much ways to build him exp: with cdr or full tank.
You can also max every single spell ( e q and even w) on lane for all kind of situations and lane enemys.

Olaf is a versatile champion.
]-TX-[Madara™{OmCpt}
Darude- Sandstorm

Return to “Guide section”