Studies/Homework: need help/advice? => POST HERE!

Everything off-topic here!
Skirata
LoL Manager
LoL Manager
STEAM: charcoaleater
LoL Name: framboiseattack

Re: Studies/Homework: need help/advice? => POST HERE!

Post by Skirata »

I can. I'm good at English, and my French is all right.

The ball is placed in the centre of the field. A whistle, a player gives a kick with his foot. The match has started... The ball is flying, and rebounds. A Player is chasing it, pushes the ball, which is received by theopponent whose turn it is to head towards the opponent's goal ... When there's a good oportunity, he charges and gives a hard kick which sends it flying into the goal. Watch out, the goalie throws himself onto the ball, catches it and gives it to his own players. THe offence take it with speed of acrobatics (weird sentence...), with a force of d6g6nbre (why did you put numbers into that word? I don't know what it means sorry :( )with brute force and head dpwn the pitch. The teams of both sides are (what does FEINTENT mean? I can't find it in the dictionary either ) but are then mistaken, and let a goal in through the posts. The Referee whistles. The result creates lots of enthusiasm for the Players and their supporters.

Sorry if it isn't 100% correct, but this French wasn't always gramatically correct I must say.
-Sig by War.

Hamlet Coach (1:17): yea sure, sry i took long to answer but i had to google how to talk in chat while palying, i keep forgetting
Freshou (8:06): contact me *****
War
Omicron Private
Omicron Private

Post by War »

Delete this shit.
Last edited by War on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."
War
Omicron Private
Omicron Private

Post by War »

Let's correct some sentences Skirata. :wink:

Le ballon est place au centre du terrain. Un coup de sifflet, un joueur donne un coup de pied.
The ball is placed in the centre of the field. A whistle, a player gives a kick with his foot.
Le match est commencé... Le ballon vole, rebondit. Un joueur la suit et la poursuit, la pousse du pied, se la fait voler par un adversaire qui a son tour la conduit vers les buts ...
The match has started... The ball is flying, and rebounds. A Player is following it,(There i don't find the word, suivre is "follow", poursuivre, i don't know, maybe "pursue, run after"), pushes it with the foot, has it stolen by an opponent who bring it in the goals ...

Quand l’occasion est bonne, il fonce et d’un grand coup de pied lance le ballon dans les buts.
When there's a good oportunity, he charges and gives a hard kick which throws it in the goal.

Alerté, le gardien se jette sur le ballon, l’attrape et le renvoie vers un de ses équipiers.
In alarm/Alerted?, the goalkeeper jumps in the ball, catches it and gives it back to one of his teammate.

L’attaque reprend ... Avec une habileté et une rapidité qui ressemblent a de l’acrobatie,
The attack resumes.. With skill and speed which look like acrobatics/stunting

avec une force qui d6g6nbre (dégénère ?)en brutalité et qui se male (it's actually "mêle") a la ruse, les équipes des deux camps feintent, trompent et finissent par faire entrer le ballon entre les poteaux.
With a force that (or which, don't know, correct me) degenerate in brutality and that (or which...) mingle/mix with trick, both teams (weird "les équipes des deux camps", "les deux équipes" is better, no?) pretend/feign (in english, i don't know if we say the same, in french, "feinte" is like a trick, in a football term, if you for example pretend to shoot and you don't, it's called it's a "feinte de frappe"), outwit (just discovered that word, same meaning as trick -as verb-, right?) and end up by letting the ball between posts.

L’arbitre siffle. Le résultat déchaîne 1’enthousiasme des joueurs et des partisans.
The Referee whistles. The result unleash the enthusiasm of the players and their supporters/partisan/followers.
"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."
DC-17
1st Commander
1st Commander
STEAM: cost2008 + cost2007
LoL Name: TxDC17

Post by DC-17 »

I tried to stay as close to the text as possible. As War and Skirata said, the text is full of mistakes which make some parts of it really understand to understand. By the way my "football" vocabulary isn't the most sophisticated.
The ball is placed in the center of the field. Whistle signal. A player gives a kick. The match has started (1)... The ball flies and bounces. A player runs after/chases it, pushes it, and gets it stolen by an opponent who then heads for the goal.

When the occasion shows up/appears, he rushes and gives a powerful kick towards the goal. The lively (2) goalkeeper throws/projects himself on the ball, catches it, and throws it back towards one of his teammate. The attack resumes/starts again...(*)

With acrobatic (3) dexterity and speed and with an unleashed strengh combined to craftiness, the team (4) uses tricks and finally manages to push the ball into the goal.

The referee blows a whistle. The result gives rise to the enthusiasm (5) of the players and their supporters.
(1) As I said I stayed as close to the text as possible but it looks kind of awful to have so many "cut" sentences in english. It is used in french to give rythm to the action. Feel free to add some "and" or commas, it won't change the meaning I guess.
(2) Not sure about that word: basically the goalkeeper was ready to intervene.
(3) I don't know if you can say "acrobatic" in english, that is the literal translation of what is written but it kind of looks weird in french.
(4) The part in french is totally non-sense. They surely actually meant "équipiers" which means "teammates" rather than "équipes" which means "teams". Also I said "uses tricks" but their might be a specific word in english.
(5) enthusiasm in the way that they shout because they show their happiness
(*) In the way that the attack restarts but actually in the other direction. I didn't change the meaning of the text but that was pretty clumsily written.

@War: ta traduction était pas mal mais oublie pas de mettre des "s" à la 3ème personne singulier, c'est hyper important en anglais! :)
War
Omicron Private
Omicron Private

Post by War »

DC-17 wrote: @War: ta traduction était pas mal mais oublie pas de mettre des "s" à la 3ème personne singulier, c'est hyper important en anglais! :)
En effet, inattention. :xD:
Unleashes, degenerates, mingles/mixes.
SAMO
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain

Post by SAMO »

Well since I do a lot of translations in my studies I could help if you still need Pricey!
Pricey
Veteran
Veteran
STEAM: sinisterprice
XBOX Gamertag: MisterJPrice

Post by Pricey »

Thanks for your efforts guys. I had a paper/essay written by a French anthropologist (I study Anthropology) .. and 95% of the paper was translated into English already, but there are a few bits in French.

My sister speaks French so i'll get translations off of her, but if I need any more, i'll post more on here, thanks!
DC-17
1st Commander
1st Commander

Post by DC-17 »

Don't hesitate :)
SAMO
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain

Post by SAMO »

I'm wondering if someone of you is very good in spanish?
DC-17
1st Commander
1st Commander

Post by DC-17 »

Used to have some good basics but I haven't trained it quite a long time and wouldn't define me as "very good" AT ALL, so I doubt I will be of any useful help :(
Infinitii
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
Xbox360 MW3 Cadet
XBOX Gamertag: lnfinitii

Post by Infinitii »

I learnt it for a year when I was like 10 in America but now all I know is :megusta:
The prettiest colours!
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran
STEAM: Vertebratan
BATTLE.NET: Vertebratan
XBOX Gamertag: Vertebratan
LoL Name: Vertebratan

Post by Barcode »

I did 4 years of spanish.

I turned up & listened some of the time.
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
Drift
Veteran - LoL Division Commander
Veteran - LoL Division Commander

Post by Drift »

I'm decent at best.

[14:45] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: [21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: i wanna wine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: and dine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: touch you in all the places you want me to

[16:09] EnDever(TAG-BITCHES): HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS TX DRIFT
SAMO
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain

Post by SAMO »

Ill probably ask for some help since my last exam is an oral of 2 hours..
War
Omicron Private
Omicron Private

Post by War »

I'm not bad in Spanish...

But that's French language studying, so that's shitty. I learnt more by reading newspaper or going in Spain than doing 3 hours/week of Spanish since 5 years.

Return to “Off-Topic”