Free Games Review - E1 - Rigs of Rods

Moderator: News Report

1eShit
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
TX Judge - RC Staff Sergeant
STEAM: 1eshit

Free Games Review - E1 - Rigs of Rods

Post by 1eShit »

Since this is my first review I may give you some introductary work: I decided to write reviews on free games which are out on the internet, since these are quite a lot, and some are really awesome, but only known by a small bunch of people.

In this episode, Episode 1, I am going to write a review on the vehicle simulator Rigs of Rods (RoR).
The special thing about Rigs of Rods are it's unique soft-body physics, which make the vehicles behave in a realsitic way, and like you created them. Featuring Cars, Trucks, Trains, Boats, Planes, Helicopters etc. RoR covers a big variety of vehicles, in which everyone finds his or her vehicle, and if even not: you can built your own one. To give you an impression about what we're actually talking, I included a trailer video, showing a variety of RoR's features:
In the following review, I'm going to deal with the following topics:
  • • Graphics
    • Gameplay
    • Multiplayer
    • Modding

Such as it's vehicle variety, there's also a big band width concerning the graphic setting for the game. Once you installed the game, the "Rigs of Rods Configurator" will appear, this is basically the main menu which is included for other games ingame. The game mode (Singleplayer/Multiplayer) is also chosen with the configurator. Using the highes setting Rigs of Rods has awesome graphics, especially for a game created by just 2 developers. But due to the fact that it is really "fps eating" you'll need a good computer to run the game on it's highest settings. While using basic settings the overall appearance is nice, but there's nothing extraoridnary. Included in the following spoiler are the graphic settings on a high & on a low level:
Hidden content:

Using the high settings my fps were at about 9, and while using the low ones at about 50. But a big factor on the appearance is also the terrain you're playing on itself, using normal settings I took this screenshot on a land-based map which looks decent, but the settings aren't at maximum:
Hidden content:
As you might have noticed there's a white line going across the hills, this is the mesh for the street which is displayed as a white object on far distances, moreover the mountains in the background look really sharp which isn't that nice either. But as already mentioned the game is still in a beta-stadium even if the first public version was released in 2007.
My conclusion is that the graphics are alright, especially for a free game, but due to the fact that people with a normal computer can't play with relatively high settings, and the dependence on the quality of the terrain is important, there is also a negativ side on the graphics.
Rating: 7/10
The gameplay is the most disappointing aspect regarding the game, because actually there's none. There are a lot of loads, towing trucks, and such stuff with which it is actually possible to create some missions you'd have to fullfil, but that hasn't been included yet, it was told that this is a "WIP" (Work in progress) but until now there's not much progress. On some maps there are racetracks included which can be driven, and the time you'll need for it will be taken, but that's actually it. Of course people do much more stuff, e.g. there is a bunch of towing trucks, and you can start a kind of "role play" of your own towing company, but if you're not really fascinated by that it'll get pretty boring after a short amount of time.
Rating: 2/10
The same thing goes for the Multiplayer, but due to the fact that you are able to play with more people together, the whole "role play company" becomes more interesting, and even more fun. Of course there are some bugs in the MP like spawn points for boats are not in the water, or sometimes collision fails, but overall it's more fun to play with a group of people. Moreover the MP is constantly in work, in the early versions of RoR you were just able to drive one vehicle only, there were no collisions, and things like the chat windows looked really ugly, but due to the development, you're now able to crash your car with the car of someone else, or leave yours and get another one. And there'll be probably more cool features later...
Additionally I included a video showing the multiplayer gameplay, of some people having a virtual company:
Rating: 5/10
In contrast to the ganeplay, the modding possibilites is the best thing for Rigs of Rods. The possibility to create modifications and customize the game as you wan't it makes it active, popular & lasting for a long time. And this is probably why RoR has a big community with people from the whole world (there are special subboards in the forum for other native speakers). There's actually nothing you can't build: Cars, Trucks, Planes, Rockets, science fiction vehicles (there are various Star Wars vehicles) and much more !
Furthermore you can keep your vehicles simple, or make them look like from a professional game creator. A special "RoR Wiki" has been created which answers actually every question you could have on how to do something, and furthermore there is the forum in which are a lot of enthusiastic modders who answer all your questions. And as already said, you can do that for free: the RoR Wiki is featuring tutorials & links for freeware programs (e.g. Blender3D), which allow you to make the vehicle you want to have !
This is totally awesome, and that's why there are new modifications every day!
Rating: 10/10
Rigs of Rods is a nice game, it has some bugs and needs improvements here and there, but you have to keep in mind that it is still a beta, that's why we can hope that the game will get an actual gameplay in the future, so that the awesome possibility to modificate nearly everything will get it's money worth. Aside from that it would probably also attract more people which aren't interested in vehicles that much.
Rating: 5/10

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rigsofrods/
Repository (Modding downloads): http://www.rigsofrods.com/repository/
Forum: http://www.rigsofrods.com/forum.php

Kind regards,
~1eShit
.............]-TX-[•»1eSh¡t.­™{StSgt}............
Hidden content:
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: Im jelly
]-TX-[Penguin{Om1Lt}: and mad
]-TX-[Penguin{OmCpt}: i suck#
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: gah i suck
]-TX-[Penguin{KaCom}: /retarded me
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: Me dumb
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: IM SO DUMB
]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: ofc i am gay
]-TX-[•PengusQ3{DivCom}: damn im dumb
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Free Games Review - E1 - Rigs of Rods

Post by Ironhide »

I already read that review before so do not wonder why I can reply that fast - I really read it though.

It is a nice review especially since this is your first one, well written, not too many mistakes, good to understand and gives me every information I need. Not going to play that game though. Keep it up. :up:
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Screy
STEAM: __screy__
XBOX Gamertag: xTG Screy

Post by Screy »

Nice review! :)
Missing the old days...
Sierra and Echo Squad Modern Warfare 2 <3
Gratze

Post by Gratze »

This game looks really cool ^^

]-TX-[ Gratze: thought I found a game now to troll with you
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: hehe
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: ;D
] ]-TX-[ Gratze: :D
]-TX-[•Penguin™{Vet}: You can look forward to a troll filled future im sure
Myself

Post by Myself »

nice review 1eShit! Keep on going! I'll read all of 'em. free games are always good :P.
sys
xfire: deppwithburton || steam: myownlabyrinth

Return to “Reviews / Previews”