The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Moderator: Xbox360 Staff

nBurbidge
Battlefield 3 Advisor
Battlefield 3 Advisor
STEAM: nburbidge

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by nBurbidge »

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Information

Skyrim retains the traditional open-world gameplay found in the Elder Scrolls series. The player is free to roam the land of Skyrim at will. Within Skyrim lie five major cities, expanses of wilderness and mountainous ranges. When visiting cities, the player can complete activities such as cooking, farming, woodcutting and mining. The player levels up by raising skills. Eighteen skills are present in Skyrim, and the class system from Oblivion has been removed. Perks are skill-specific abilities, organized in a system of branching groups called "skill trees." Each rise in level allows for another perk to be picked. There are 280 perks, which are balanced between approximately fifty levels; although the theoretical maximum level depends on the character's skill choices. The on-screen heads-up display only appears when the player's health, stamina, or magicka are being depleted. Items and equipment layouts can be saved to a quick-access menu, and the pause-screen inventory menu is presented in a compass-style overlay; while in the inventory, the player can rotate and zoom in on acquired items.

Weapons can be created by the player at a forge, and are assigned to each hand individually, allowing for dual-wielding. At the cost of stamina, the player can sprint and jump. Shields can be used with a bashing attack, and timing is required for blocking with a shield. Blunt, bladed, hacking and stabbing weapons each have specific advantages and roles; as an example, the player is granted the ability to perform finishing moves. There are over eighty-five spell types, which can be used in ranged and close combat forms. Spell types have specific qualities; a frost spell slows and drains stamina, while a fire spell causes prolonged damage through burning, and may also ignite the environment. When practicing archery, arrows take longer to draw back than in previous Elder Scrolls games, but do greater damage. Because of this, arrows are expensive and considered rarities. A player equipped with a bow can use it defensively in close combat, in a charging counterattack. The player can sneak, and non-player characters (NPCs) become alerted if the player's movements are detected. Daggers are specifically effective when used in a sneak attack, inflicting devastating damage.

Predecessors to Skyrim made use of an artificial intelligence system known as Radiant AI. Skyrim makes use of an updated system known as Radiant Story. It allows NPCs to "do what they want under extra parameters", as stated by lead designer Todd Howard. Side quests are dynamically altered based on the player's actions, and are tailored to the player's abilities and progress within the game. As an example, the player might be sent off to a dungeon that has not been previously explored, and face enemies that are defeated most effectively with the player's preferred combat style. Aside from dynamically altering side quests, Radiant Story allows NPCs to interact with their environment, such as by working at bars, mills and mines. NPCs also interact with the player character through conversation, and may request favors or training in a particular skill, or challenge the player character to a duel. These events are generated as random encounters, taking influence from Fallout 3, a game created by Bethesda in 2008.

Setting and Plot

Skyrim is not a direct sequel to Oblivion; rather, it is a new chapter in the Elder Scrolls series, set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion. In the premise to Skyrim, the Empire began ceding territory to the Elven nations it once ruled, because there was no heir to the Emperor's throne. The Blades had no one to defend, and gradually died, were murdered, or secluded themselves from the rest of the world. After the king of Skyrim was assassinated, a civil war broke out amongst the native Nord race – the majority being those who wished for Skyrim to secede from the Empire, and the rest being those who wished for Skyrim to stay in the Empire.

As with previous Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim begins with the player character as an unknown prisoner, on the way to their own execution. The player character eventually learns that Skyrim's civil war is last in a sequence of prophetic events foretold by the Elder Scrolls, who also foretell of the return of Alduin, the Nordic god of destruction. Taking the form of a gigantic dragon, Alduin is prophesied to consume the world with his servants, the Jills (a race of black dragons). The player character is the last Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), a dragon hunter anointed by the gods to help fend off the threat Alduin poses to Skyrim and Tamriel. Aiding the player is Esbern (voiced by Max von Sydow), one of the last Blades.

Skyrim's game world is the province of Skyrim. It is a northern province of Tamriel, the continent on which all the games in the series have taken place. Skyrim is roughly the same size as Oblivion's game world Cyrodiil, which is around 16 square miles (41 square kilometers) in area. Within Skyrim lie five cities, larger than Cyrodiil's cities, as well as smaller townships and expanses of wilderness. Much of Skyrim's topography is mountainous, and dragons are frequently encountered when exploring the wilderness. There are over 130 dungeons scattered across Skyrim, and when the player enters a dungeon for the first time, the monsters within lock to the player's level permanently, even if visited later at a higher level. Fast-travelling is a returning feature, allowing the player to instantly travel to any marked location that has been previously visited.

Videos

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II OC Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz [8-8-8-24] PSU: Corsair HX750W HDD: 128GB SSD, 250GB SSD, 3TB HDD and 1TB HDD OS: Windows 10 64-Bit Mouse: Zowie ZA11 Keyboard: QPAD MK-80 Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + ModMic Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Monitor: Dell U2414h x2

Battlelog
Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran
STEAM: hasero

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Hasero »

Nice post man! Im not really familiar with the elder scrolls. Although ive smashed some skulls with oblivion. I dont really get the game.

Its a rpg in a fantasy world i guess?
I'm pretty good at stuff, until people watch me do that stuff
Zeta Squad
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran
STEAM: Vertebratan
BATTLE.NET: Vertebratan
XBOX Gamertag: Vertebratan
LoL Name: Vertebratan

Post by Barcode »

This Game is going to be great.

I'm sorry to say it but this is one of the many games out this year that i feel will kill Call of Duty... im a fan of CoD but i just feel some games will be better than MW3 and this is one of the key ones. :up:

I beleive that it includes hunting and suviving more than the previous skills in oblivion giving it a much more realistic skill base, also there is talk of online i don't know if this is true could anyone tell me if so?
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
nBurbidge
Battlefield 3 Advisor
Battlefield 3 Advisor

Post by nBurbidge »

It is a singleplayer only game,which is good because they can focus on making a great experience. CoD definately won't b killed though because it is marketed so much.
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II OC Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz [8-8-8-24] PSU: Corsair HX750W HDD: 128GB SSD, 250GB SSD, 3TB HDD and 1TB HDD OS: Windows 10 64-Bit Mouse: Zowie ZA11 Keyboard: QPAD MK-80 Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + ModMic Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Monitor: Dell U2414h x2

Battlelog
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran

Post by Barcode »

True but honestly is MW3 turns out like black ops i feel alot of people will give up on the Call of Duty series. Honestly i still play oblivion and i know alot of people that play games such as fallout to. Even some people that havent acctually played Eldar Scrolls before will be willing to buy it. I think this will be one game that cannot be a disapointment as there has been talk for several years and a very long wait for it.
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
Conte
STEAM: giugiu

Post by Conte »

Ohh this game will be awesome.Probably one of the best games in this year.
And nice post :up:

Elder Scrolls Ftw :wink:
Revenge
STEAM: hopperfutzi

Post by Revenge »

Yeah... the trailer is so epic, I rly like Oblivion as well... hopefully we'll be able to mod plugins for the pc version again. :cuinlove:
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

It's a bethesda game, ofc it will be moddable.

Most BS you read all day^
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran

Post by Barcode »

Well pengu if you are good enough at it you shouldn't need to mod it. :lmao:
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Not like that examples of mods I used on fallout 3 would be the unnoficiawl patch and the hardcode mode ;)

Most BS you read all day^
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran

Post by Barcode »

Yer then im New Vegas they put hardcoremode on <3.

Jelly? :D

Yer well Oblivion was great mods or not, skyrim will be better.
Majin Spanky
Xbox 360 Member
Xbox 360 Member

Post by Majin Spanky »

i cant bloody wait for this game to come out gunna be sweet!!!! :xD:

its in my top 4 most wanted games of the year :up:
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

reminds me of game of thrones
nBurbidge
Battlefield 3 Advisor
Battlefield 3 Advisor

Post by nBurbidge »

Out in 5 days, can't wait.

Got it for such a good price as well; £22.30.

Battlelog
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

i heard that when it snows in the game it will gradualy build up layer by layer

Return to “Adventure / RPG”