Microsoft's XBOX 720?

Moderator: Xbox360 Staff

Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran
STEAM: hasero

Microsoft's XBOX 720?

Post by Hasero »

While Sony already admitted to be thinking about the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo are no doubt developing a Wii 2… In an interview with the head of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business division, Peter Moore, EGM magazine asked him when their next video game console would come out, and also asked if they’d drop support for the Xbox 360 like they did with the original Xbox. He said that they were going to support it “as long as it sold.” Possibly because they saw the Xbox sell well into 2007 despite not producing the console after October 2005.

He said the production team from the Xbox 360 is working on the next Xbox 720 [our pet name], and their looking into what kind of CPUs will be available on the market in 2011-2012. That would put the Xbox 360 at a lifespan of 6 or 7 years, a far cry from the Xbox’s 4 years. After spending $1.26 billion in losses launching the Xbox 360, they’ll want to get the most out of the system by lengthening its lifespan. As the longer you get into the cycle, the more profit you can make due to stopping being a loss leader, analysts always remark.

On June 13th, 2008, Robbie Bach — the President of Entertainment & Devices Division at Microsoft — mentioned the next Xbox by saying: “Our view is we will be selling Xbox 360 for a long time. We are always working on new technologies. We have people working on those. People ask me how many people I have working on the next generation. On the one hand, it’s everybody. On the other, it’s nobody. People are continuously working on new technology.

We started thinking about the next generation before we shipped the Xbox 360. It doesn’t start with a date. It starts way upstream with silicon development. From that comes a series of data points. You start making early technology choices. It’s an evolving thing. Stuff doesn’t become concrete until you get inside a window of when you have to ship, more than 18 months or so out.”

This video shows Xbox 720 console mockup pictures unofficially made by Xbox fans

In late 2008, The Inquirer newspaper reported on speculation from industry insiders that Intel is trying to get its high-performance, new architecture GPU Larrabee chipset into the next-gen Xbox 720… both of which are codenames…

Their sources claim that: “Intel has offered Microsoft a very sweet deal indeed in exchange for pushing AMD out of the running for Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox 720. Offering everything from chips to chassis, Intel is purportedly wooing the Vole right down to designing its thermals and pimping the Larrabee chipset out to Microsoft to subcontract out as it pleases. Needless to say, this gives the Vole some rather hefty bargaining power, and leaves both AMD and Nvidia quivering in their boots.

[...] in all likelihood, Larrabee version one will barely take off, but with the right console deal, Larabee Two — which should be making its first appearance somewhere around 2010 — could be a big player.”

As you may or may not know, the Xbox 360′s internals consist out of a PowerPC-based CPU from IBM and a GPU designed by ATI. So an Intel deal would definitely change things up, and aside from emulation, hardware backwards compatibility might be out of the picture as a result.

In May 2009 Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter claimed: “We do not expect the ‘next’ generation to begin before 2013, if at all. We remain convinced that the publishers will resist the introduction of any video game hardware technology that requires a refresh of software, as the publishers have as yet to capitalize on the immense investments made in being competitive in the current cycle.”

In June 2009 TeamXbox.com claimed: “The only thing I’m going to say about everything I heard regarding the next Xbox is that it won’t launch until a certain type of television becomes more widespread because in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.”

Possible outcome?

In October 2009 Fuzilla.com industry sources claimed: AMD / ATI has already won the GPU deal for Microsoft’s next generation Xbox console. They also created the current Xbox 360 Xeon GPU, suggesting compatibility with legacy games. The report also states that the new console won’t be released before 2012, since the current economic recession is preventing an originally planned 2010 release.

In January 2010 David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management, said in a briefing at the Consumer Electronics Show 2010 in Las Vegas that there’s no need for an Xbox 720 yet. To quote: “I think it’s important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us. There is no need to launch a new console, because we’re able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal. The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don’t even know if we’re at the midpoint yet.”

Source
Video Games Blogger
I'm pretty good at stuff, until people watch me do that stuff
Zeta Squad
Cal
STEAM: Nubikal

Re: Microsoft's XBOX 720?

Post by Cal »

That article's quite old, Peter Moore has move on to head EA Sports now, the Wii 2 has been confirmed (will likely be shown in detail at E3 in a week) and will likely launch in 2012. There were some rumours that Microsoft had already given dev kits for the new Xbox to developers, but these were strongly denied.

I wouldn't expect to see the new Playstation and Xbox released until 2013, maybe even later given how strongly this generation is still going and the massive costs and initial losses associated with a new console. Sony will probably try to launch first or at the same time as Microsoft this time to avoid being on the back foot again though.
Current MP Playlist
PC: Gears of War, Terraria, APB: Reloaded Beta, Bulletstorm
360: Gears of War, FIFA 11
Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran

Post by Hasero »

Yes indeed, its quite old. I thought it would be fun to raise some discussions.
Zeta Squad
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran
STEAM: Vertebratan
BATTLE.NET: Vertebratan
XBOX Gamertag: Vertebratan
LoL Name: Vertebratan

Post by Barcode »

wow. talk about killing a topic in one post :xD:

Yer well all the same i think the Xbox360 is doing better than PS3 so playstation are going to need to bring out a new console soon, alot of people i know are transfering to xbox from PS3 mainly after that insident with details getting lost but still i think that Xbox having Kenect come out quite recently was great for them and i feel the only way they can improve is building connect in and also some talk of 3d however i am not sure if this is true.
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

PS3 already has 3D.

Most BS you read all day^
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader
XBOX Gamertag: Firetrap900

Post by Firetrap900 »

XBOX 360 has it aswell it in black ops for example
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

PS3 had it way before the 360 though.

The PS3 is a superior console by far, especially in terms of leading technology.

(I own both so I can judge)

Most BS you read all day^
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader

Post by Firetrap900 »

probly true but i like where the crowds at personaly. ps network is also free
Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran

Post by Hasero »

There showing the new Xbox at the end of january!!
Zeta Squad
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Doesn't look realistic, lol.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

Hasero wrote:There showing
I missed that. :cuinlove:
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Firetrap900
Xbox 360 Section Leader
Xbox 360 Section Leader

Post by Firetrap900 »

E3 exhibition in Los Angeles in june

cant see anything being announced untill this^^^
Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran

Post by Hasero »

Ironhide wrote:
Hasero wrote:There showing
I missed that. :cuinlove:
Haha you nub!

Well Microsoft announced the presentation of the new xbox in january 2012.
Zeta Squad
xkyd96

Post by xkyd96 »

Cant wait its gunna be soo cool B-):-P
Barcode
LoL Manager - Veteran
LoL Manager - Veteran
STEAM: Vertebratan
BATTLE.NET: Vertebratan
XBOX Gamertag: Vertebratan
LoL Name: Vertebratan

Post by Barcode »

xkyd96 wrote:Cant wait its gunna be soo cool B-):-P
Hmm, My question will it run the same? i.e run 360 games or will i have to rebuy all my games for this new console?
]-TX-[Jay{OmLCpl}: french people are bad at invading things, imagine how embarrassing it would be to have them invade your bum?
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, or knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

Return to “Microsoft Updates & Announcements”