Moderator: LoL Managers

Numb
Omicron Major
Omicron Major
LoL Name: Hveem

Numb's guide to master Evelynn [Midlane]

Post by Numb »

Evelynn - The Widowmaker
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

For those of you who have yet not tested Evelynn... Well, shame on you. If played correctly she's one of the strongest midlaners. In this guide I will explain why she's so strong and how to play her to her fullest potential.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros and cons

Pros:
+ INSANE burst damage. (Can kill a target in 1-2 seconds).
+ Very mobile (Can roam around the map easily).
+ Stealth.
+ Not mana hungry.
+ Easy to farm with.
+ Big tits when using her black skin.

Cons:
- Very squishy (You're an assassin)
- Needs some kills to get strong.
- Gets focused down pretty hard (Prepare to die, but to take someone with you).

Summoner Spells

ImageImage

Not much to add here. Ignite for damage and flash for positioning, avoiding ganks, engage. You dont need Ghost as you are already superfast, and you dont need teleport as you can gank invisible, which also is a lot easier.

Masteries

Pretty standard AP masteries. 21 in offense for damage, 9 in utility for some mana regen, movement speed, buff duration etc.

Runes

Standard and safe runepage which actually works for all AP midlaners. Some magic resist, armor, ability power and magic pen. This will help you to survive in lane and still deal good damage.

Armor Seals
Magic Penetration Marks
Magic Resist Glyphs
Ability Power Quintessences

Abilities

Shadow Walk [Passive] - When out of combat, Evelynn enters stealth only being able to be seen by nearby enemy champions or true sight. While stealthed, she rapidly regenerates Mana.

A very strong passive which makes Evelynn who she is - A sneaky little bitch who can gank everywhere without being seen by normal wards. This is why you want to play her in the midlane - Shortest way to both top and botlane. Once you are invisible, you'll have a sircle around your character. Once enemy champions or turrets are in the range of your sircle, you're no longer invisible. So don't get too near until you have a great opportunity to gank. This passive can also be used to regenerate mana.

Hate Spike [Q] - Evelynn fires a line of spikes through an enemy, dealing damage to all enemies in its path.
Damage: 40/60/80/100/120 (+0.45 AP) (+0.4 AP) magic damage to all enemies in its path.

This is the ability you want to last hit creeps and harass your enemy with. When fighting or chasing your enemy, spam this as much as possible. The cooldown is very low. You should max this ability first because it's your main damage source early and it's needed to push the wave so you can roam around the map.

Dark Frenzy [W] - Evelynn passively increases her Movement Speed when hitting enemy champions with her spells. Upon activation, Evelynn breaks free from slows affecting her and gains a massive Movement Speed boost for a short duration.

Good ability for chasing down enemies or escape from ganks. This ability costs no mana. Remember that if you are invisible, this ability will make you visible, so only use it when you want to engage on someone, not to blow your cover. Another good thing is that it removes all slows on yourself. This ability will also reset it's cooldown when you get assists or kills, which means that you can rush in with this skill, KILL and then rush out again. Max this ability last, but get it early.

Ravage [E] - Evelynn slashes her target twice, dealing damage with each hit. She then gains increased Attack Speed for a short duration.
Damage: 35/55/75/95/115 (+0.5 AP) (+0.4 AP) magic damage with each strike.
Evelynn then gains 60/75/90/105/120% Attack Speed for 3 seconds.

This ability deals some good damage. It's a melee attack, which means that you have to get close to your target to deal damage with it. Use the ability to kill people while spamming Q at the same time. The attack speed bonus isn't really gonna affect anything as you're not gonna deal many auto attacks anyways. Get an early point in this, and max it second.

Agony's Embrace [R] - Evelynn summons spikes from the ground to deal damage and slow enemies in the area. She then gains a shield based on how many enemy champions were hit.
Damage: 15/20/25 (+0.01 AP)% of their current Health in magic damage
Slow: 30/50/70% for 2 seconds.
Shield: 150/225/300 health shield for each enemy champion hit which lasts up to 6 seconds.

Pretty insane ultimate! Goes well with the rest of Evelynn's skillset. Remember that it deals damage equal to your enemy's CURRENT health. This means that the ability should be used to engage, and not to finish people. This ultimate also synergizes very well with the item Deathfire Grasp. If you manage to hit 3-5 people with this, you'll get a pretty insane shield too. This is good because you need a bit of time to burst someone down. Other than that, the ability has pretty short range, so you need to get close before using it. Max the ability whenever you can.

Item builds

My prefered endgame build looks like this:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

This build has TONS of AP, +100 armor and +70-80 MR - A good mix between damage and defense. I get these items 90% of the time. If you get to these items you'll be the KING. Don't forget to buy red and blue potions if you even have more money.

Other viable items to your build are: ImageImage (These two items synergize very well together).

You can also go for Image if the enemy team stacks a lot of MR.

I like to start the game with either boots and 3 health potions (if you are against a champion with skillshots) or a crystalline flask, a ward and a health potion. Your first goal after this is to get the Deathfire Grasp or an Abyssal Scepter. In most cases I get Deathfire Grasp first, but I might get Abyssal if the enemy is killing me and I need MR.

When you get your Deathfire Grasp you're gonna deal TONS of damage. You'll be a very scary ganker and you should be able to snowball and finish the rest of the build. Build whatever you need; if you get focused down, get a Zonyas's Hourglass, if you need more damage, get a Rabadon's Deathcap. Finish your build with the Guardian Angel for the last fights in the game. You can also go for the mobility boots if you feel like ganking even more. You should switch them out later though, when there are teamfights and you need the extra magic pen.

Playstyle

In the early stages of the game your goal is to farm. Evelynn is weak the early levels, so don't get shut down and try to make big plays before you hit level 6. Of course, if the lane is getting pushed against the enemy tower, it's actually safer to go for a gank instead of trying to last hit near their tower. Remember that you are invisible and the enemies won't expect you coming. But as said, play safe, ward both sides of your lane and farm up. Evelynn is a champion that needs a lot of farm and some kills to be useful. Once she's useful, she's godlike.

Once you get your first items, the fun begins. The combo you want to land is: W -> DFG+R+E+Q. (Actually just spam Q as much as you can). Finish them off with ignite if they're not already dead. This is one DEADLY combo and will melt enemies down.

When ganking other lanes, try to get into the lane without having the enemy within your sircle. In most cases you want to surprise the enemy from behind. Wait until your partners abilities are off cooldown and go all in.

When getting ganked, you should in most cases be able to escape with your W. Eventually, slow the enemies down with your R. Eventually, flash. It's better to waste flash than getting killed.

When it comes to teamfights I like to stay behind the enemy team to reach their backline easier. The fact that you are stealthed makes this possible. Let's say the enemy team is pushing on your midlane turret. You want to stay in one of the side bushes or simply behind them. Let the other members of your team defend the turret and engage for you. Your mission in teamfights will be to take down the backline of their team (The AP and AD carry, eventually support). You want to be a ninja and give them a real surprise. Since these targets are very squishy, you'll be able to burst them down within few seconds, or just instaburst them down if they're standing still. IMPORTANT: Let the teamfight begin before you jump in, never engage a fight on your own.

Other than that, try to ward their jungle as Evelynn can easily create 4v5 situations because she can burst down an enemy so quickly. If you see one of their squishy targets alone, go and combo him down. Enemy support goes to ward? burst him down. You are the one who's gonna make the plays for your team, because you're an assassin.

Conclusion

Hope you liked the guide guys! I would recommend everyone to test her out. She's really fun to play and once you master her, you're gonna get some crazy stats like this:
Hidden content:

I will also try to add a video of some Evelynn gameplay later.

Feedback and thoughts are always appreciated!
Phems.
BATTLE.NET: Naldir
XBOX Gamertag: EC Judge
LoL Name: Phems

Re: Numb's guide to master Evelynn [Midlane]

Post by Phems. »

Very very nice guide !!! :up:
But i prefer her in jungle :ugly:
Numb
Omicron Major
Omicron Major

Post by Numb »

Phems. wrote:Very very nice guide !!! :up:
But i prefer her in jungle :ugly:
Thanks!

Evelynn is also a viable jungler, yes, but I feel she's a lot more dangerous when playing her mid. You should test it out. ;)
Drift
Veteran - LoL Division Commander

Post by Drift »

Whats your opinion on Lich bane, I personally use this as one of my early game items when I play eve mid?

[14:45] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: [21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: i wanna wine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: and dine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: touch you in all the places you want me to

[16:09] EnDever(TAG-BITCHES): HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS TX DRIFT
Numb
Omicron Major
Omicron Major

Post by Numb »

Drift wrote:Whats your opinion on Lich bane, I personally use this as one of my early game items when I play eve mid?
I only tried it once, so I need to test it out more. Seems like a good item for some extra damage as you are in melee range anyways. Good tip. :)
Drift

Post by Drift »

My thinking behind was like I can get that extra movement speed because Eve herself is a highly mobile champ and the extra mana and ability power early game can help me spam her q for quick and easy farm.

+I personally am a fan of sheen's passive.

[14:45] ]-TX-[•Penguin{DivCom}: [21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: i wanna wine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: and dine u
[21:45] ]-TX-[•Damon: touch you in all the places you want me to

[16:09] EnDever(TAG-BITCHES): HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS TX DRIFT
Emotoast
LoL Name: Xieno

Post by Emotoast »

I dont like your item and mastery section. I also dont like that you dont said who could be a hard enemy and what can you do against him.

But, i guess its not your 1000000th guide so i will tell you what exactly i dont like so you can improve. First of all in your item section you should not just say the items. Make it like this:

Start with boots and 3 heal potions when you wanna have a quite safe lane and want to be mobile against enemies you need to dodge (lux with her skill shots).
You can also start with elixir of fortitude, 4 heal potions and a sight ward. You can ward the enemies wraights at minute 4:30 so you can either rush to kill jungler or to all in the enemy midlane with a heal (elixir of fortitude is actually a heal with the bonus health).

Then you should present your core which seems to be Rabadons + Hourclass + Deathfire grasp. After this you show items and explain why and when you can buy them. And last but not least you post your survival items. Say why you would pick Guardian Angel rather than the others but sometimes there needs to be an other item.

Now your Mastery section. I dont like that its a finished and set page. There are different ways you need to go against different situations. I would explain 1 mastery page against an easy and safe lane where you can go for 30-0-0 masteries (AD ist still quite okay for more dmg on lane) another one with 21-9-0 masteries against really, really hard lanes since you need the defense. The last one would be the one you posted.

I didnt play Evelynn mid so i dont know who counters her and who is countered by her but you should mention it briefly to prepare early enough.

Also i would add a ward map where you can ward to see enemies wraights and the top river or a defensive ward just in the bushes. Just like you usually place them and explain why you do this in this way.

I hope my english aint to bad espacially since i refuse to write the ' in dont and all that. :D

But all in all the guide is good. You explain the playstyle, you mentioned the important things. My post is just the cherry u can put on the cake, you know? Good Job bro!
GeniuZ
Epsilon Lance Corporal
Epsilon Lance Corporal
LoL Name: Blaow der Boss

Post by GeniuZ »

The guide is fine. Guides are for beginners only, it's totally fine when you don't waste too much time on explaining why doing this or that. Experienced players know what to do.

Following guides is helpful when you haven't played a champ at all.

That counter-thing:

Tbh it doesn't matter what/who you are playing against on your mid lane as Eve ... People play Eve for ganking, you usually clear your wave and then run over the whole map.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»]-TX-[•»GeniuZ«{CWO}«««««««««««««««««
Numb wrote:Lets play Capture the Fag: Grace runs around and u gotta catch him!
[16:41] ]-TX-[•»GeniuZ«{BOSS}: give me a sec!
[16:43] ]-TX-[•nUmb™{OmSMj}: Dude.. Have you got StormSyndrome?

Storm: Das ist kein Flaming, das ist Beleidigen du Hurensohn
SAMO
Omicron Captain
Omicron Captain

Post by SAMO »

totally agree with Geniuz. Everyone has his own style to play
Numb
Omicron Major
Omicron Major

Post by Numb »

Thanks for the feedback Xieno!

As Geniuz mentioned, I didn't want to go in depth with this guide. It's more like a beginners guide to express how Evelynn works as a champion. I would probably add more mastery/rune pages if it was for ranked games, where you can actually see your enemy laner.

As for the item build, it's pretty straight forward, build what you need. I presented items that I think works well with Evelynn and it's the game who decides what to build when. (What you need in different situations, more damage/more defense)

But yea, it's my first guide. If I'm gonna write an in-depth guide I will surely add your suggestions! :)

Return to “Guide section”