Can't decide between a macbook pro or a normal win notebook

Don't know what fits for you? Request a purchase advice from the TX hardware supporters!

Moderator: hife

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Re: Can't decide between a macbook pro or a normal win noteb

Post by Vash »

The Niftydrive is much slower than a regular SSD and also lacks regarding reliability as you can't write as often as on SSDs.

But I guess it's fine for using it as an additional disc space for data.

It won't slow it down, as your operating system will still remain on the regular SSD.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Žarbon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Žarbon »

If I buy for example a MBP with base 128 gb how much of the memory will be left over?

EDIT

Still not sure which notebook to buy but I think I go for MBP.

Well I need still an advice: Is it clever to buy MBP with base 128gb + external hard disk drive or you say its worth to pay 200 € more for having base 256?

Having more memory is better I know but paying 200 € for more are just boaa :OMFG:

And one question about Sunny's post:

Shall I wait until late 2015/early 2016 for the new macbooks? I could wait until there but only when its really confirmed that the new one will be released at that time...

[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Du brauchst kein teamwork.
[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Du brauchst ne shotty und ne dunkle ecke.
[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Das ist alles.
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Seriously, look at the older Retina ones refurbished.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

It's Apple, you can't expect anything more than a minor performance increase.

What apps will you install? I personally have a 128GB MBP. I have a lot of apps installed including XCode, Photoshop, iWork, Dreamewaver and I also have a Windows 8 virtual machine with Visual Studio 2015 installed and a few TV series downloaded. I still have 15GB free space on my main disk.

You can get a NiftyDrive cheap to store your music and video. I have a cheap version of the NiftyDrive and it's fast enough to playback 1080p video.

@Vash, I only recommended NiftyDrive as storage extension, unfortunately it is too slow to be usable for anything else. My original plan was to run my Windows 8 dev VM from it, but the performance was too poor, now I just store downloads on it. It gives me a 128GB drive for files, and 128gb for apps this way.

Most BS you read all day^
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

How on earth can you install that many shit with only 128GB? On my Windows PC the 120GB SSD that I had years ago was like instantly full... I had many programs on it, but no files like movies etc.

I couldn't survive with such a small drive. I have a 256GB SSD in my PC which is almost full already.

I really don't recommend anything below 250GB.

Replacing the SSD could be an option though. But due to Apple's bullshit not using standards you will have to pay like 2-3x the price for the same capacity. I think OWC is a company selling those SSDs for replacement.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Vash wrote:How on earth can you install that many shit with only 128GB? On my Windows PC the 120GB SSD that I had years ago was like instantly full... I had many programs on it, but no files like movies etc.

I couldn't survive with such a small drive. I have a 256GB SSD in my PC which is almost full already.

I really don't recommend anything below 250GB.

Replacing the SSD could be an option though. But due to Apple's bullshit not using standards you will have to pay like 2-3x the price for the same capacity. I think OWC is a company selling those SSDs for replacement.
It's because its an efficient operating system, Vash ;). Files, photos etc are stored on the Cloud and media on my NAS. My Windows 8 VM with Visual Studio 2015 installed is larger than my OS X install + all my apps + a few tv series I have for watching on the go. Though I'm trying to get work to buy me a Surface Pro 4 on release so I won't need the VM.

Also Apple SSDs use a normal standard... they are not hard to get hold of. They are a little more expensive but they are much faster than SATA SSDs, nothing to do with Apple standards. I use a PCI-e in my desktop.

Let's face it though, there is no point recommending people to swap out SSDs or get a laptop that is more upgradable because most people will simply just buy a new one because they will not want to open up the laptop and void their warranty or they lack the skills/confidence to do an upgrade.

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Penguin wrote:It's because its an efficient operating system, Vash ;). Files, photos etc are stored on the Cloud and media on my NAS.
I have an older MacBook myself with OS X and even there my 120GB SSD is full, so I removed the DVD drive for an additional HDD.

So I can say from my personal experience, that it does not matter whether it is Windows or OS X.
Penguin wrote:Also Apple SSDs use a normal standard...
The standard is called M.2. And Apple uses an own bullshit connector instead of using the M.2 interface, which could handle PCIe.

The ThinkPad X1 Carbon uses PCIe M.2 SSDs from Samsung. You can get more than 2GB/s read speed there...

Why is Apple using an own bullshit? The answer is, like with all their stupid adapters, to sell their own expensive stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like Apple's quality and their laptops, but this non-standard bullshit is really annoying me.

I'm really happy I'm able to upgrade my old MacBook. I have one from 2009 with 8GB of RAM, 120GB SSD + 750GB HDD and I'm happy with it.
Penguin wrote:Let's face it though, there is no point recommending people to swap out SSDs or get a laptop that is more upgradable because most people will simply just buy a new one because they will not want to open up the laptop and void their warranty or they lack the skills/confidence to do an upgrade.
I have no idea how the things work in the UK, but in Germany you can't void the warranty by upgrading your PC or laptop. It even does not matter if you break seals to do so, they are invalid by law.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

I'll be honest, I just hate Lenovo because they are fuckshit humans. So I won't discuss much more, just leave some links to help Zarbon make his mind up.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... x1-carbon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://blog.laptopmag.com/laptop-brand-ratings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd to 6th in a year.

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Lenovo is just an example. ALL THE OTHERS USE M.2 STANDARD!

Only Apple has to do their own bullshit again...
Sunny
LoL Member
LoL Member
XBOX Gamertag: RokkaFellah
LoL Name: Beatlefield

Post by Sunny »

well for me the budget was the main reason, and i even asked the guys in the apple store if retina is necessary: they said if you never worked with apple before (for ex. iPhone), you won't rly miss retina at all, only after working with it will be a huge miss without it...
Angela Merkel wrote:Das Internet ist für uns alle #Neuland.
Penguin
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Penguin »

Vash wrote:Lenovo is just an example. ALL THE OTHERS USE M.2 STANDARD!

Non M.2 standard vs Spyware... Hmm....

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

Penguin wrote:
Vash wrote:Lenovo is just an example. ALL THE OTHERS USE M.2 STANDARD!

Non M.2 standard vs Spyware... Hmm....
Not on ThinkPads.
Ironhide
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Ironhide »

If you're deciding to buy a MacBook don't forget to save another 100€ to be able to use a USB device while charging the battery. And another 100€ if you need to use more than 1 USB device, which will require you to plug one adapter into another adapter. Apple :lmao:
Narcissus: You never miss more than 2 sniper shots in a row. Never have.
Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

That's only the MacBook 12". :wink:
Žarbon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Žarbon »

Another advantage of macbooks is: if you buy it for 1500 € you can sell it after ~ 3 years for ~ 1000 €. I noticed this in ebay.

[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Du brauchst kein teamwork.
[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Du brauchst ne shotty und ne dunkle ecke.
[22:04] ]-TX-[•AquaZ{ZeSgt}: Das ist alles.

Return to “Purchase Advice”