Moderator: News Report

Hasero
TX Judge - Veteran
TX Judge - Veteran
STEAM: hasero

Review: Star Wars The Force Unleased

Post by Hasero »

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

After 3 years of production Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is ready to turn our consoles to the dark side of the force. It promises character customization, filling up the cliffing hole between Episode 3 and 4 and giving the player full controll of the force. But does it hold up it's promises or does it truly turn to the dark side?

Story

Kashyyyk, a couple of years after episode 3: The empire trys to capture the Wookie's homeplanet and wants to enslave all Wookies to send them to the whole universe. However the Wookies offer so heavy resistance that Darth Vader himself has to get on the planet and fight for the emperor's goals. After he cut down all resistance he finds a Jedi master. After a short fight the Jedi's little son shows up to protect his farther. Confused Vader kills the farther along with all empirials on the scene to secretly keep the son as his apprentice.
After a 10 year jump in the future you will find yourself controlling that boy as Darth Vader's secret apprantice Starkiller, who atcs as Vader's personal assasin to wipe out the last remaining Jedi from the face of the galaxy. As character sidekicks there is the training robot Proxy, aswell as the pilot of the Apprentice's ship, the Rouge Shadow, Juno Eclipse.
The overall story is great with much unexpected twists and turns that will kepp the player guessing untill the end and Star Wars fans will defenetly get they money's worth. Some heavy stuff goes down that is going to change the Star Wars universe forever. A real problem however is the storytelling, which is done via way too short cutscenes. The dialogs are so short and the action is often so rapidly changing that it feels like the developers were too lazy to do the cutscenes right.
Story rating: 8

Package
From a full priced game you would expect a decent lenghth campaign mode and a multiplayer mode, online or off. Well, none of these matches Force Unleashed. There is only one gamemode here to speak of and that's the painfully short campaign mode, with lasts only 6-8 hours. There are 6 different locations, but the levels are all designed the same way and it gets pretty repetative after you spend a while playing the game. That doesnt mean that there is nothing to explore though. There are hidden holocrons, 15 in each area, which unlock new lightsaber colours, new outfits or credits called "Force Spheres". These are bound into the ingame leveling system, which allowes you to buy new combos, force abilitys or character abitlitys. You gain XP by killing enemys and even more XP by killing enemys in a specific way like crushing them against a wall. Fill up your XP bar and you will get a levelup, which again gives you "Force Spheres" to unlock special abilitys. After you've completed the game you can play through the quest once again with all your powers from the first run.No, none of that is wildly imaginative but it adds some to the game's dephth.
A minor dissapointment is the absents of any kind of multiplayer mode.
Package rating: 5

Gameplay
Gameplay is as simple as it gets. You have one button for jumping, one for force push, one for force lightning, one for force grip and one for your lightsaber attcks. You can bring these together in combos, but its hard to differ them from each other, because they tender look the same. There is also the feature to lock on targets and block enemy attacks but these options are almost never needed. Most of the time you find yourself running through the linear levels killing enemys with the same combos over and over again.
The highlight of each are are the bossfights, but these don't fare better. It basically is made of 2 parts: Bashing the enemy with your combos over and over again, and then finish him with a boring quick time event.
Overall the gameplay gets pretty boring after a while and the only thing that is still fun, even in the 3rd run, is throwing enemys around like ragdolls.
Gameplay rating: 6

Sound
The soundtrack is just what you would expect from a LucasArts production. The epic John Williams score Star Wars is known for kicks in at all the right moments giving you the feeling of realy being a part of a Star Wars movie.
Combat sound is less short of amazing. The lightsaber always sound different depending on what ground it hits, or better said what enemy.
The voicework is pretty mixed. Breathtaking when Darth Vader starts speaking, and ridicolous when the emperor kicks in.
Sound rating: 9

Graphics
Using the Ronin Engine for effects and animation, the Euphoria Engine for the physics and DMM for realtime rendered deformed material Star Wars: The Force Unleashed looks great. Count in the fantastic art design of each location and you realy begin to see where the developer team put their most efford in. The only dissapointing point about the graphics is the level of detail, it's just too low. But if you throw an enemy through a big room and see how he reacts with cold steel all this is forgiven.
Graphics rating: 8,5

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not the overwhelming experience the developers praised it. The good graphic- and sounddesign can not let vanish that the game's dephth just isn't very big, the leveldesign is too repetative and the gameplay is just simple buttonmashing. Some more of the game's credit should have defenetly gone into the gamedesign instead of the gameplay and this is why The Force Unleashed is just an average game.

OVERALL RATING: 6,9

~Review made by Ridley
I'm pretty good at stuff, until people watch me do that stuff
Zeta Squad
strike

Re: Review: Star Wars The Force Unleased

Post by strike »

have it and beat it.
-=TAG=-Crisis

(\__/) Im Bunny
(='.'=) Paste me into your signature and we will achieve:
(")_(") WORLD DOMINATION!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

me 2 m8
Horst McRandom: wer fanta trinkt
Horst McRandom: wixxt beim scheißen
strike

Post by strike »

what station did you beat it on?
-=TAG=-Crisis

(\__/) Im Bunny
(='.'=) Paste me into your signature and we will achieve:
(")_(") WORLD DOMINATION!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

normal
ninja
Epsilon Lance Corporal
Epsilon Lance Corporal

Post by ninja »

i played it and beat it and now looking for the holo crons

i love this game :cuinlove: and i understand y u didn't give it a good rating but... :nutty:

the story is one of the best stories made on next gen consoles. ya it's kinda short but if u play it on hard u won't think so, plus u have alturnet endings which rock :up:
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

the story is awesome i agree, but the storytelling, the short and bad scripted sutcenes, suxx.
And it's defenetly not the best overall story on next gen consoles, bioshock aor mgs4 tops that.
Well i must say im a star wars nerd but force unleashed realy dissapointed me
Steel
Veteran
Veteran
LoL Name: Hippimaster

Post by Steel »

There is only one thing wrong with this game. U ARE TO ÜBER lol ^^ U can blow up everything ^^
TeamXtreme Team Killer
Ridley
Friend of TeamXtreme
Friend of TeamXtreme

Post by Ridley »

lol youthink its to easy?
Try to get past the first stage on the deathstar on medium difficulty without dying
Lethal
TeamXtreme Monkey
TeamXtreme Monkey

Post by Lethal »

i dont liek that wen i do the force..u stand still so u get shot :nutty:
BITCH I OWN YOU
Bountyhunter

Post by Bountyhunter »

I beated it in four days with the Sith Warrior mode. (Had to replay missions over and over again x.x)

I didn't really like how they actually used Vader and the Emperor to "spruce up the story-line". But the secret apprentice story hunting down the last Jedi's was great! I ended with the Dark Side ending, gay. Other than that the physics engine was cool to play with and force grip them then slam them on a wall :D
Shanks
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shanks »

well i dont really like that game...
N'Core

Post by N'Core »

Vash
Grand Commander
Grand Commander

Post by Vash »

How's the Wii version? Except the shit graphics comapred to PS3.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200 - Motherboard: ASUS B350-Plus - SSD: Crucial P3 1TB - Video: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 3070 Mini - Monitor: Lenovo Q27q - Sound Card: Onboard - Speakers/Headphones: Teufel Concept G THX 7.1 - Keyboard: Cherry MX-Board 1.0 - Mouse: Logitech G400 - Case: Lian Li PC-A70B - PSU: Enermax Modu87+ 700W OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
[18:30] -=TAG=-Snoop: Okay, Thank you, and sorry for interrupting your ingenious laboratory work Professor Vash.
N'Core

Post by N'Core »

different storys...

well, it's (like i guessed) shit...

pixely and the wii-remote fucks up like in cod3 :frown:

Return to “Reviews / Previews”